Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

High Expectations

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

High Expectations

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 16, 2011 2:51 pm

:idea: I could have posted this over at the veggie forum but since I grow all my veggies in containers, I thought I would post it here. k? :)

I'm so excited and thought I would share. Our first batch of lettuce and spinach has popped. :)
IMG_0007.JPG

The first set of true leaves are starting on the lettuce so soon I will be transplanting them individually so they can grow big and strong like the lettuce grown last year.

Last years' lettuce and Swiss Chard May 06, 2010
lettuce.JPG

Mmm..........fresh veggies with no chemicals.......mmmm...and $1.79 for a packet of seeds instead of paying $1.79 per head of lettuce. I like it~ :)

In other containers there is some herbs like parsley, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, oregano and basil. I hope they hurry up and sprout. My supply of herbs from last year is just about finished.

Snow peas are growing in a long container in the greenhouse.

Waiting patiently for the Brandywine and Banana Tomatoes to sprout.

Soon we will be eating our own home-grown salad all grown in containers. Did I mention everything is totally organic?............no chemicals.....yay!

:)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CdnChelsea

Re: High Expectations

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 17, 2011 7:49 am

Looks great, Chelsea! I'm wishing I could grow some. Got any tips for brown thumbs like me? did you start them under grow lamps indoors.....?
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 17, 2011 9:36 am

I sure wish I had room for grow lights in the house. Unfortunately there is no free space to set them up. What I did was keep them in the greenhouse during the day and bring them inside at night. It's way too cold to leave them in the unheated greenhouse. Lucky for me, the weather has/was co-operating lately and the sun shone every day.
A friend gave me a great cart so I can transport them easily too. Being a one-armed gardener is difficult so the cart makes it so much easier.

Yesterday was a cold/windy/rainy day so I kept all the containers inside. Today it is snowing.
It's a good thing I didn't transplant any of the seedlings into their own individual containers. Then I would be in big trouble finding space for them.

I didn't know you had a brown thumb, Diane!! :shock: I don't believe it. I have always thought you were a great gardener.

Greenhouse today:
IMG_0001.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CdnChelsea

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 17, 2011 10:13 am

Oh, Chelsea, I am so impressed with you.....why are you gardening with one-arm only? Injured? I've been away for a week so out of news.

Went to TO to help our daughter move into an apartment from a semi-house; we worked so very hard for 5 days, then drove home in pouring rain and cold weather. Took us 5 hours to do our usual 3.5 hour trip.

but it was such fun to be with her! She's single again and loving it. We ate out almost every meal, so poor tummies are out-of-sorts today, and there is little in the fridge.

So, off to grocery shop now, then do laundry!

I LOVE to garden, but with really poor soil, and those dratted deer flies, which bite through anything.....I have become discouraged. But it doesn't stop me. Where are you, Chelsea?
Trailblaze1

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 18, 2011 11:07 am

Diane, I live in Central Ontario and yes, I did hurt my arm/shoulder. The result is what 'they' call frozen shoulder. Very painful but getting a little better as time goes on.

CdnChelsea

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2011 11:39 am

Diane, have you thought about rubbermaid containers lined up alongside your deck? Easy to control any weeds and not a lot of work so you can avoid the deer flies as much as possible.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Trailblaze1 » Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Now that does sound like a good idea, Lyn. Then I can even run into the house should a horde of deer flies get me. In/out/in/out/in/out.......I could possibly manage gardening like that, hehe.

Chelsea, I do remember now....I even posted in your frozen shoulder thread, telling you that physiotherapy helped me over mine. I guess it's expensive though. We had (past tense) extra medical insurance which covered it at the time (totalled $500 for 10 weekly treatments).....but alas, with the complete demise of Nortel, we lost all our medical extras. We now have to pay our own dental .....yikes, were we ever spoiled all those years.
Trailblaze1

Return to Container Gardening