Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Creeping Charlie problem

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Creeping Charlie problem

Postby audrey » Apr 24, 2011 4:54 pm

We have noticed a ton of creeping charlie on our lawn this year. Our neighbours said they imported it with some plants, but have never tried to kill it. They dont believe in weed killer (even when it was legal) Anyone know what the answer would be for us to use? I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
audrey

Re: Creeping Charlie problem

Postby Jeannie » Apr 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Audrey, the only safe and sure way is to rip out the Charlie as it comes but if you wish to
attempt to spray for it I suggest you go to the website of "20Mule Team Borax"....the laundry additive.
There they explain a formulae for using their product for the purpose of killing Creeping Charlie....but, be forewarned, Borax has boron in it and while the element is in our ground already it should not be added to the extent that it kills the soil as well as the plant.
The website explains it all.

Good luck!
Jeannie

Postby audrey » Apr 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks Jeannie. I did see that site and will go back and have another read.
audrey

Postby thistle » Apr 26, 2011 8:50 pm

I recently moved and did not notice until it was too late that the Lawn is absolutely covered in creeping Charlie, so I am thrilled ti have found this recipe for what I hope will eradicate this ugly Weed in my Lawn.
thistle

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Apr 27, 2011 9:42 am

I read an article in the Prairie Gardener that was written by the guy who was a prof at the UofS in agriculture, doing weed control in the fields. When he got confronted with the backyard full of creeping charlie, he first raked the plants to remove the tough old plants that will not be eliminated by the weed killer. Then he applied the weed killer to the new, tender growth and repeated the rpocess until he got rid of it. As usual, brought to you by someone who reads too much and gardens too little!
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby thistle » Apr 27, 2011 3:02 pm

That make sense,I'm really going to go at it as soon as all this Rain stops,boy we are getting hammered right now.
thistle

Postby Bestgardenarbor » Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am

Look for products containing triclopyr. This includes Weed B Gon Purple, Weed B Gon Chickweed, and Weed B Gone Max. A second good choice for chemical control is quinclorac (Drive). :)
Bestgardenarbor

Postby Northpine » Apr 28, 2011 10:31 am

I'm following this discussion with interest. I have creeping charlie in my front lawn also.
It was always there, and I ignored it, unfortunately. Last year it just seemed to explode. Now I'm determined to do something about it. But what? I read about the borax last year, but it scares me. I'm afraid of killing the soil. I did notice when I was making a new flowerbed that round up kills it. Of course that would mean killing all the grass and starting over. But I live in an area with a wild very weedy field nearby. So if I was to try reseeding the lawn, I don't know how I'd achieve that without a ton of new weeds germinating.
Last fall I managed to convince the neighbourhood that I was insane by trying to dig out the creeping charlie. It does seem possible to do, but it is such a big area. Don't I have better things to do with my time? Plus I ended up at the chiropractor for several weeks, and I'm sure it was caused by the whacking I was doing out there.
I don't know how one could 'rake it out'? Though the roots are near the surface, they sure don't rake out for me.
I'm now considering asking a lawn service if they can kill it. It would be a one-time thing for me. I detest weed killer, but I don't know what else to do. If I could get it under control, then I could handle digging it out.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Return to Plant Talk