Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

My Hoya is finally going to bloom!

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Re: My Hoya is finally going to bloom!

Postby Eeyore » Feb 24, 2011 5:46 pm

I hope it survies for you Vendella
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 01, 2011 7:00 pm

I have two "starts"...growing very nicely...a long way before they become pot-bound...I will keep the faith...how wonderful to be rewarded like that, Lulu!

I am hoping to put them outdoors when it is warm enough...outdoors seems to do great things for all my houseplants. Shall see!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » May 01, 2011 11:22 pm

First bloom was July 2010, and just had another bloom,,just one cluster, again,,but,,much bigger this time,,got some pictures,,but,,the port on my puter is not co-operating @ present.
Lulu

Postby CarolynM » Jul 10, 2011 6:56 am

Good morning everyone. I am a newbie here, I so love that Hoya Plant, I live in LaSalle a smallt own outside of Windsor, anyone from this area and maybe could tell me where I can get a Hoya Plant.
CarolynM

Postby Lulu » Jul 10, 2011 8:45 am

Good morning Carolyn and welcome to the forum.

Any store with a gardening section usually has them; I've even seen them in a grocery store.

Since my last post in May, my hoya has bloomed almost monthly, and more bunches of flowers each time.

I'd offer you a cutting, but, at present,, my plant has mealy bug; those spots that look like white fluff, but are actually a cocoon type of thing. Easy enough to eradicate,,with a swab dipped in rubbing alcohol; just very time consuming.

Right now, I put it outside,,hopefully, it has some natural predator outside that will take care of it,,then I just have to worry about what kind of bug will be on it, and how to clean it, when I bring it back in.
Lulu

Postby CarolynM » Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Lulu: If you ever get it all fixed up I would love a cutting.
CarolynM

Postby Lulu » Jul 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Carolyn, pm me with your address; I can cut several chunks off, and sanitize them before sending them to you.
Lulu

Postby angelinaottawa » Sep 29, 2011 7:59 am

That is so lovely. Drooling here. LOL

I am new to hoya, and I was wondering if there are tricks to grow it from cuttings. Is ordinary potting soil good enough?

Yes, if you have spare cuttings, this new to hoya gardener would love to have some. Ottawa City here.
\
angelina
Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Postby angelinaottawa » Oct 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Linda: Got the cutting today, and it is so great to have cuttings. The length is generous, and I managed to wrapped them today in coconut husk till i can find a decent planter.

I was looking for a clear pot, so I can see the roots as they grow. Can you tell I am like a geek trying to observe this plant?

Anyways, here are the pictures, it is really long, and it covers from the stove heating element to the hood of the stove fan.

Thanks again Linda. I mailed the TY card today in our townhome mailbox, it should leave by 8:30 am to CP distribution center.

Here are the pictures.

long cuttings

Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Previous

Return to Indoor Plants