Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

I need ideas!

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

I need ideas!

Postby tulips76 » May 01, 2011 10:51 am

I am creating a new garden in the corner of my yard. We are in zone 5 (kitchener) area, and our yard faces south east. This corner gets morning and mid day sun. I had a bunch of stones in the yard so I decided to try to make a patio/stone garden. But I need ideas, so far I have planted some perriwinkle and sedum between some of the stones, but I would like to surround the area with garden. I would appreciate any ideas...
Attachments
IMG_0127.JPG
tulips76

Re: I need ideas!

Postby CdnChelsea » May 01, 2011 11:17 am

Plants that would add height like Clematis climbing up a trellis or some roses would be good.
Attaching some hangers on the fence with containers full of flowers would be good too.
You could also espalier some fruit trees along the fence or the wall of your house.

I would also recommend the garden soil not touch the fence or the house. Water will wick up the fence and the wall causing mold and rot.

CdnChelsea

Postby johnjf » May 02, 2011 12:32 pm

wow, that looks like a great spot to put a small pond where your stones are laid out. Then you can use those stones could be used as a walk way and maybe surround the small pond with flowers, etc.
I'm a freelance web designer/front-end developer who loves the outdoors
Follow me on Pinterest http://pinterest.com/johnjrfisher/
johnjf

Postby B_BQ » May 02, 2011 5:57 pm

I like the idea of a small pond too, with a waterfall.
We enjoy ours so much in the corner of our patio area. Ours is in shade most of the day so I have ferns, hostas and Solomon's Seal, but there are lots of lovely perennials and annuals that would do well in sun.
Please let us know what you decide, and it would be great if you could take pics of the journey and the finished area.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby mebbie » May 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Small flowering shrubs are always lovely and care free. Read the tags to determine the mature size. I do enjoy the early blooming ones-there is a new small forsythia . I try to have things in bloom throughout the season. They make good fillers ( the middle space) and also fill in corner spaces. The magic combo is, in pots anyway, spiller, filler, thriller. I think it applies to gardens as well.
I'm in the KW area too. Have fun with that new garden plan.
mebbie

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Well, I'm with the others....waterfall all the way! However, a tall slender tree (ie. dreawweaver crabapple or something similar) would look good too surrounded with lush plants. You may consider putting a bench or table & chairs on the patio (I'm picturing a circular table with chairs around it....so the garden can be viewed from all angles). Fragrant plants would be lovely as you sit nearby. Maybe consider Lilies, Roses, Peonies, Iris (only some are fragrant), Phlox.

What a great space, please share more photos as the project continues!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby tulips76 » Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm

just wanted to show you how it turned out...
Attachments
assorted 006.jpg
tulips76

Postby B_BQ » Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh, you have done well! Are the raised beds for veggies? Nice to sit on the bench and watch them grow! :lol:
~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby tulips76 » Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm

Yes- the raised beds are for veggies. Though we have yet to use them. Also on the other side of the patio there use to be a pond but we decided to move it to another area and make it bigger. What i am thinking about doing is planting a lilac hedge along the fence line.
tulips76

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas