Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tips for Container Gardening

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Tips for Container Gardening

Postby packingpearls » May 03, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm an avid gardener and wanted to share an article I posted on my blog with tips on how to container garden successfully. Feel free to share or bookmark it:
enjoy!

Joanna

Joanna, I have removed the link to your website. We do not use this forum for a promotion of business. If you wish to post some tips, without trying to sell your product, please be free to do so. I have left this post however, as Pieter has some good alternatives.
Kelly, moderator.
packingpearls

Re: Tips for Container Gardening

Postby pieter » May 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Joanna, do a search for something called the "perched water table" in gardening containers. You will find that adding ANYTHING at the bottom of the container interferes with proper drainage, raises the perched water table and impedes gaseous exchange for the roots. Yes, things like foam packing chips and your 'Pearls' will make the filled container lighter, and easier to move, but it is not the best thing for the roots of the plants.

Just for fun, conduct a quick scientific experiment: take two empty, clear 2-liter pop bottles. Drill a hole in the bottom of each and cut off the top/neck of the bottle so you have a full width opening. In one bottle fill in half the height with your 'Pearls', add the barrier and add your favourite potting mix. The other bottle simple gets filled with your potting mix. Now, pour 0.5 liters of water into each bottle and wait. After a couple hours put the bottles side by side and see how far up the soil in each bottle still shows sign of being soaked. You will find the level in the 'Pearled' bottle will be well above the level in the other one. Compare the 2 drained zones and see the difference in the amount of space available for healthy root growth.

Pieter
"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."
pieter

Return to Container Gardening