Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Constructing Raised Veggie Bed

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Constructing Raised Veggie Bed

Postby tadaw » May 22, 2011 12:07 am

I am hoping to get some help from people who KNOW, (and aren't guessing): My husband and I are thinking of creating a raised veggie garden in our back yard here in Edmonton, Alberta. My question is: Can we use pressure treated lumber? If we do, should we line it with plastic so the chemicals don;t leach into our veggies? What do you suggest for alternatives so we don't need to re-do it every two years....cedar is cost prohibitive. Please provide some considered advise. Thanks so much!
tadaw

Re: Constructing Raised Veggie Bed

Postby B_BQ » May 22, 2011 8:25 am

My gut instinct, (guessing! :lol: ) would be to NOT use pressurized lumbar for a raised bed. Nor would I line a raised bed with plastic to stop leaching. I think plastic might tend to prevent good drainage.

I just went out and took a quick pic of my raised beds. I've had these for 5 years now. I love them - so easy to tend and care for. Pretty barren today, but they should be filled up with all my heritage tomatoes in the next few days! :D

Before filling, (about 8 inches of cardboard at the bottom, (we'd just moved so had lots of boxes), we lined the beds with LANDSCAPE FABRIC, stapling the fabric to the wood frame, before filling with topsoil. That is a really backbreaking hard job, especially if you have to fill the beds wheelbarrow-by-wheelbarrow because the dirt is on the driveway and the beds are in the back garden! So, if you go this route make sure you have the soil delivered as close to your beds as possible, and then invite lots of friends over for beer and pizza after they've helped fill up the beds! Could be fun!

Anyway, these beds were constructed, by my husband and two children, using fasteners which we got from Lee Valley, (they have a good website and store), and used cheap pavers. I believe the ones we used were 20" x 20" but you could have any size you want, and have it as high or as low as you want.

This is not a rock bottom cheap way of making a raised bed, but it was fairly quick, (a weekend), and as I said earlier they're now 5 years old and as good as new.

They're wonderful.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Constructing Raised Veggie Bed

Postby failed slacker » May 22, 2011 3:30 pm

My first beds are spruce painted with an acrylic-based wood preservative. They seem to be doing fine. This year, I'm using milk paint for my new beds which is suppose to work well.
failed slacker

Return to Container Gardening