Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Organic mosquito control??? Does it exist?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Organic mosquito control??? Does it exist?

Postby dogmatique » Jun 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Every year I lose my will to garden due to the amount of mosquitos in my yard. I swear they quadruple over night. I am covered with bites. They love me! Today I looked into getting a skeetervac but decided I don't want to harm the helpful insects in my yard. We have a 1/2 acre that is made up of fruit, berries, vegetables and perennials beds. There is a fair amount of lawn too. Short of smelling like bug spray all the time, are there any organic things I can try or implement/build to lesson the amount of mosquitos and no-see-ums in my yard? What do you do to make it comfortable when working outside?
Thanks
Colleen
dogmatique

Re: Organic mosquito control??? Does it exist?

Postby dogmatique » Jun 11, 2011 10:55 pm

Oh we also have a couple bat houses along the south side of our house but so far we haven't been lucky to have any take up residence.
dogmatique

Postby Eeyore » Jun 12, 2011 2:19 am

You could try citonella candles, Off lanterns, An organic skeeter spray such as Avon's Skin so soft (the original one) and my DIL makes one for the grandson that has cinnamon in it. I don;t know what else is in it but I see several sites on line that might help. Also, I've heard that rubbing a cut lemon peel over your exposed skin will help.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Jun 12, 2011 10:28 am

There are actually many non chemical products out there.

There are some larger, propane fed repellers...basically...it traps the mosquitoes using some sort of scent or ultraviolet light to attract them and trap them. suppose to work up to one acre.

Or, OFF I think has a new personal product called a thermacell....looks about like a pager, and you clip it on and it provides a 15X15 foot mosquito free area. I have a friend who picked one up and it works well....

And lastly...Lavender is also a mosquito repellant.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Ironically, the thermacell thingy has been advertised lately on the right hand side of the screen here. I haven't tried it, but you may be able to google more info about it.

The mosquitos don't seem to "bug" me (sorry, couldn't help it) during the day. In the evening, a natural method of keeping then away is to have a fire. There are torches, fire pots, lanterns, firepits or fireplaces.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Countryboy » Jun 13, 2011 8:46 am

It seems to me that mosquitoes, like us, prefer the shade on a hot day. So I bite the bullet and, as the sun moves, work on the parts of my garden that are still getting full sun. The bugs don't usually follow me.

Also, mosquitoes usually hang around thru the day 'sipping' on long grass or overhanging trees . . cedars especially. I like to stay away from them.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby mebbie » Jun 13, 2011 9:03 am

I will look in my documents as there is a piece about natural mosquito repellants. 1 I remember is that eating bananas leaves a residual scent they love. So no ban bananas in Mos season. :|
mebbie

Postby mebbie » Jun 13, 2011 9:09 am

Hi I'm back with the goods. This was posted here in 2003.
Vitamin B1 -Thiamine Hydrochloride - 100 mg
Vick's Vaporub

There are more but I don't know how to get the doc over to the site here. :oops:
mebbie

Postby Smitty » Jun 17, 2011 7:20 am

this may also be something you are interested in...I know I was...

MOSQUITO-LESS
///////http://www.natural-insect-control.com/p ... =000000426

you'll have to c/p minus the ////
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Laurel_T » Jun 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Lavendar keeps them away as does catnip.
You can plant the catnip along the edges of the garden as it also works well as a repellent if you cut it up and rub over exposed skin (dried works too)...no bites, no kidding! :D
Laurel_T

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas