Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Lawn Mower Choice

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Lawn Mower Choice

Postby newfoundlander61 » Jun 21, 2011 7:22 am

Am moving into a new home next week which has a lot size of approx 0.25 of an acre to mow. The back yard has a short but steep grade so I am looking for advice on what type of lawn mower to purchase. Preferred choice would be battery operated to reduce my footprint on the enviroment but I am not sure how this would work for the hill area.
Thanks for any help or advice, I look forward to learning from this forum.

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
newfoundlander61

Re: Lawn Mower Choice

Postby kelly_m » Jun 21, 2011 8:55 am

battery lawnmowers are not yet up to par with gas mowers in terms of power. Not only that the charge does not last long enough. the advice I have been given, as well as what I've heard is that unless you have a postage stamp sized lot, you will simply blow out the motor of an electric mower.

That being said, you can get gas mowers and weedeaters with low emission ratings.

Also, with the hill I would highly reccommend a self propelled mower. Unfortunately it does not mean it goes all by itself... :shock: :lol: It does, however allow you to basically put the mower "in gear" and the back wheels will propel the mower with the power needed....so instead of pushing, you are actually propelling....saves a whole lotta muscle power!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Smitty » Jun 21, 2011 9:03 am

self propelled is fabulous!!!! just bought myself a new one this spring
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby newfoundlander61 » Jun 21, 2011 9:15 am

Awesome, thanks.
newfoundlander61

Postby davefrombc » Jun 21, 2011 9:47 am

I agree with Kelly's assessment .. Self propelled is the way to go. If you are new to mowing, remember to mow across the slope rather than up and down..It is much easier and safer . You eliminate the danger of a slip going uphill and having the mower mangle your feet.
The environmental impact isn't really that much greater using a newer gas powered mower compared to an electric....especially a battery powered one .. True , you are not releasing CO2 or CO into the atmosphere with an electric; but power was used to produce the electricity needed to charge the batteries. That power may be hydro, but could be from coal or gas powered generators. There is also the battery to consider .. Considerable power was used to make it , and batteries have a habit of going bad and need to be recycled all too often.
The net gain in environmental impact reduction using a battery powered mower isn't that great when you consider all the factors.
davefrombc

Postby Countryboy » Jun 21, 2011 10:03 am

Electric mowers are getting confused with cordless electric mowers in this thread.

Electric mowers will mow all the lawn u want to . . if u deal with the cord. Cordless electric mowers are just as good at cutting grass as electric or gas. It's just that their battery technology is not good enuf yet.

Self-propelled???? Not for me...
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Laura » Jun 21, 2011 10:31 am

Try a rotary mower.They make some nice ones now,no emmissions,quite,light and you can even get them with baskets that collect the clippings.
Laura

Postby newfoundlander61 » Jun 21, 2011 10:59 am

Good input Dave, CB & Laura. Hmmm, rotary mower may be the solution.
newfoundlander61

Postby B_BQ » Jun 21, 2011 11:05 am

We bought our first self-propelled gas mower about 15 years ago. We went with a Honda. It's been absolutely brilliant. We installed mulching blades. But you can go with regular blades and a grass catcher.

If and when this one ever bites the dust it will be replaced with one almost the same!

We have a fair-sized lawn and I use the sit-on mower for the majority of the grass cutting, but my husband uses the self-propelled mower for the hard-to-reach bits and the smaller areas near the road. We consider a self-propelled a 'must have'.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » Jun 21, 2011 11:32 am

Ditto on the self-propelled, Brenda!!! And with uneven ground it certainly makes a difference! I had a smaller push mower...took me half the day to cut the grass...now it's about an hour - hour and a half, 1/2 acre ish!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas