Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Night blooming jasmine

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Night blooming jasmine

Postby styric » Jun 22, 2011 2:27 pm

I had a nice two foot plant last year (a wedding gift from my hubby). It overwintered happily in my east window, then got some sort of bug in the soil that ate the roots off. I managed to save a cutting, got it to root then my puppy gave it a brutal hair cut. I had a single twig with a single droopy leaf on top this spring. I cried and threatened to turn the puppy into chinese food for her sacrilege, repotted and babied the hell out of it

I'm jumping for joy, I just hardened it off to move outside for the summer as it loves heat.

From a single droopy leaf on a stick, to this:

It's not much, but I'm very happy at every little sprout :)
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Re: Night blooming jasmine

Postby Grannygardener » Jun 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Lucky you and congratulations for being so diligent. It's a special plant and needs your love and attention. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » Jun 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I can't see the photo but I'm sooooo happy that you revived the poor sad stick and din't have to carry through on your threats to puppy. :lol: :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lulu » Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Well good for you, Styric, that you managed to save the poor twig,,and the dog, come to think of it!

You probably had a batch of fungus gnats to start with, if you know the roots died off. Have not had good luck keeping jasmine growing in the house, they just don't like the lack of good light, and they are a bug banquette!

Good luck for lots of healthy growth from this point onwards
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Jun 23, 2011 1:37 pm

The leaves of your Cestrum nocturnum are very healthy looking, so it looks like you'll have a good sized plant in no time. They are rapid growers and set bud quite easily.
Something I do with the plants that are set outside (especially jasmines, stephanotis and mandevillia) is hang some flypaper from one of their branches about a week before they are brought indoors. It is amazing what gets caught in this trap
orchidguy

Postby styric » Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

Fungus gnats? Possible. The roots were shredded when I dug it out, and the plant turned yellow from the stem up. I KNOW I didn't overwater it.

Thanks for the flypaper tip! I was worried about bringing it in, I've been spraying with neem oil every few days to ward off spider mites since they love this plant. The flypaper will help me keep any hitchhikers from coming in
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Return to Container Gardening