Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Are you a ruthless gardener?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Are you a ruthless gardener?

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 18, 2011 12:56 am

Donna...you nailed it...lots of Sedum. Also some Creeping Thyme and a few kinds of grass.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2011 10:07 am

Speaking of ruthless. On the weekend we decided that some plants just had to go. The dogwood at the back of the yard that was being crowded out is now gone and the following plants are slated for removal.

1) Thunderchild Crab Apple tree in the front yard. It was badly butchered by the roofers a few years ago and pruning has not helped it at all so it's going to be removed. This will provide a lot more sun on the front of the house as well.
2) Goldenrod. I love it but it's too aggressive for my garden
3) An early blooming yellow daylily that does not rebloom. This will find a new home with a new owner hopefully.
4) A Frans Hall Daylily. I have 2 of them and they are quite large. This will probably find a new home with my GF.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Did you take before and after pics, Lyn? It's easier to make a decision about yanking out perennials and annuals...shrubs and trees, which have been in place for years, is harder..I think anyway.

We had an apple tree that ended up with blight after it was injured by an errant wheelbarrow driven by youngest son. Its removal totally changed the look of that flowerbed.

I wished our next door neighbors was more ruthless (rather then clueless) with their diseased Schubert chokecherry...it had a major case of blackknot and will likely go on to infect many trees in our area.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Before and after pictures is a good idea Donna. I'll have to do that before the tree goes.
Don't you hate it when people put in a tree or shrub and then don't take care of it? In our nighboiurs yard are a crab appla and an apple that are planted about a foot from the fence so they drop fruit all over our patio. Rick cuts all the branches that hang over the fence and they don;t use the fruit for anything. To be fair those trees were planted by the original owners and we pointed out to them at the time that they were going to be a problem. They also have a cotoeaster hedge that collects garbage on the property line. I'd love to take it out and now that the house is up for sale I'll ahve to talk to them about removing it. I really don't think they'd care.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

The former neighbors asked our advice when they were selling their house. They knew that their tree was diseased but didn't want a big empty spot there either, so they left it (not their problem anymore). These new neighbors are truly clueless; they think any growing plant is better than nothing. They have a nice healthy patch of clover growing smack dab in the middle of their lawn! Possibly thinking to themselves...ooh, pretty white flowers! :roll:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 28, 2011 2:10 am

8 hours of ruthless gardening today! (well, some was kind...I planted a few new things).

Lyn...I attacked my Dogwood today too. Pruned about two thirds of it out. The past residents weren't pruners...just planters :lol: . Oh, and they planted Goldenrod here too, but I managed to get rid of it a few years ago.
- a Mugho Pine was limbed up a bit and it had a quite aggressive vine with purple flowers in the summer and red berries in the fall growing right in the middle of it. I just got tired of finding it popping up three feet away :roll: so out it went...well the parts I could see anyway.
- some fall Anemone were coming up in the lawn ...argggh...and here I thought I could tame it....no chance! Gotta go.
- I dug out a rather large clump of tall bearded Iris and gave it to Mom.
- I dug out a rather large clump of dwarf bearded Iris and gave it to Mom.
- ok this one was tough since I love Peonies....BUT....I waited three years to discover Veseys sent me the wrong Peony (why am I not surprised!!!!) and although it has big, lovely blooms the plant is huge (wanted a smaller variety) and those big blooms droop (I don't stake anything). Out it went too.
- oh...then the cream colored dwarf Meadowsweet that was labelled white.....well not a cream fan especially when it is mixed with all of the white in the garden....another gift to Mom.

-Overall it was a good, but exhausting day.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2011 9:58 am

Rick is a planter and not a pruner. Every year it is a major discussion to get the pruning done so I usually do it when he isn't around. :? :?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

Way to go, Scrap! Hope your back is not resentful.

Did I ever tell you what I think of Mugo pines? Looks like the new growth, or candles, are giving you the "finger"!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 29, 2011 3:40 pm

I am about to remove yet another tree (that would be 7th tree & about the same amount of shrubs I got rid off from 2 properties)... I seem to have a very different taste in trees and shrubs than people who owned every property I bought. :mrgreen:
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Elena...what type of tree is it?

Donna...I expected to be stiff and sore, but wasn't....just really tired. If that darn Mugho Pine is giving me "the finger", then I'm returning the favor... :wink:
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk