Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

my back yard bed

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

my back yard bed

Postby Smitty » Jun 28, 2011 10:03 am

So some of you may remember this bed...couple of years ago a big windstorm took down the old maple that sat on edge of it. This year another windstorm turned our portable garage into a parachute and it got hung up on maze of wires..took out fence and landed atop the bed. Big job to repair it and replace retaining walls and fencing...

this is the bed in May
back bed.JPG

a couple of the mishap
garage mishap 006.JPG

garage mishap 002.JPG

work in progress
back bed.JPG

still a work in progress but it's looking better.
back bed.JPG

when it is finally finished there will be two feet of privacy lattice on top of fence.

and yes I cleaned up that mess of carp beside the bed :o
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Re: my back yard bed

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2011 10:06 am

It's looking very good Smitty! Did the Town finally bury those wires? They were pretty precarious when we visitied.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jun 28, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks Lyn...the wires are still there! in fact one came down in this mishap and I thought...wooohooo one wire down.but they put it right back up!
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Was it the one with the hanging tree trunk? If not I'm surprised that one is still up. :o
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Smitty » Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

nope that one is still there!!!!!
Smitty

Postby conniepr » Jun 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Wow, looks like a lot of work. Love the pink tulips!
conniepr

Postby Northpine » Jun 28, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow Smitty, you've had some powerful storms! I can appreciate how much work you've done to restore your garden.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby earwig » Jun 29, 2011 6:20 am

Great job, Smitty.
I found when disaster hits a garden bed, it is just gives one an opportunity to move things around and an excuse to get new plants. A chance to get the creative juices flowing and improve on what was there.
During Hurricane Juan (2003) I lost 6 trees. 4 of them were down right ugly ones that my mother had planted years ago and a couple of siblings were having fits that I would even consider cutting them down. I figured my mother had a hand in it from heaven to save hard feelings and realized they were a mistake . Of the other two, one was rotten and the other was a Poplar and you know they should never be near garden beds. And then in 2005 and I am getting ready for my Mini Home, the sewer guy and I had long discussions on where the sewer was to go - he won, and I now have a lovely path through a garden bed and a rock wall that I never would have considered otherwise.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Lulu » Jun 29, 2011 6:29 am

Wow,,what a lot of work, but, it sure is coming along nicely! Keep us posted with your progress, please!
Lulu

Postby Smitty » Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am

thanks all..it is a lot of work and I'm not as young as I once was so things take a bit longer to get accomplished. :o
I agree Betty...everything happens for a reason and renovating this bed yet again has been an excuse to go plant shopping...although I really don't need an excuse :) . the old fence had been there long before we moved here and I was looking for reason to replace it....think my Ma had a hand in it from heaven??

We made that tiered garden 12 years ago with old landscape ties we found buried around the yard and an old sidewalk we ripped out from along side of house..it was due for an overhaul and when it's finished it should outlast me.I would think. it is all made with pressure treated lumber, cut ends were double soaked. retaining wall is screwed to 4x4 posts of fence( which are buried 4 feet down and back filled with gravel )and then nailed to each other with 5 inch spikes. between garden soil and retaining wall is 3 inches of gravel to allow for good drainage. here's hoping it's the last time I'll have to do that!!!
Hopefully we will get bottom part of fence completed this weekend and the lattice will come eventually.....before winter winds set in
Smitty

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas