Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Yard Sales

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Yard Sales

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 05, 2011 8:13 am

My neighbour has been taking me to yard sales every Saturday morning. Now I'm hooked since finding some great treasures for the gardens.

Last week, I found an old metal wall hanging which is butt-ugly on its own but I made a concrete birdbath out of it. Then I found an old cast-iron Christmas tree stand for the base of the bird bath.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

I also found an old concrete bird bath base. I'm going to make another bird bath bowl...

:)

CdnChelsea

Re: Yard Sales

Postby earwig » Jul 05, 2011 8:24 am

Wonderful, love those types of finds. It is a creative person that sees beyond "butt-ugly" and makes a thing of beauty.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Northpine » Jul 05, 2011 10:00 am

I think yard sales are fun, but I have to admit I wouldn't have seen any potential in that wall hanging. Would you care to elaborate on how you made it? Does the cement just bond to the metal, or did you have to do anything special?
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Eeyore » Jul 05, 2011 11:40 am

Nice finds! I keep telling myself I should go garage saling but my weekends disappear in a blur of laundry, groceries and housecleaning. :roll: :roll:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 05, 2011 1:26 pm

"quote by Northpine Jul 05, 2011 9:00 am

I think yard sales are fun, but I have to admit I wouldn't have seen any potential in that wall hanging. Would you care to elaborate on how you made it? Does the cement just bond to the metal, or did you have to do anything special?" /end quote

:) My neighbour made a face when I bought that metal wall hanging. :? She also wondered what I was going to do with it. What I saw was the potential of a mold for my concrete garden creations. So far, I have been making concrete bird baths using a rhubarb leaf as a mold.
IMG_0005_1.JPG

When I saw the metal wall hanging I figured I could set it in the sand pile I use for making the rhubarb leaves:
1.JPG

I then flipped the wall hanging upside down and pressed it into the sand. No sand was placed on the wall hanging but I did bank the sides up so the wet concrete would stay put.
3.JPG

Can you see the indentations on the metal wall hanging? Cement will fill the indentations so there will be an identical picture transferred onto the cement.
I used the back of the wall hanging so the picture would be in the bowl of the birdbath.

......cont'd

Last edited by CdnChelsea on Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CdnChelsea

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 05, 2011 1:41 pm

After making sure there was no sand on the mold to transfer onto the wet concrete and the sides were built up to stop the wet concrete from going outside the border of the wall hanging, I made the cement.
First I put on latex gloves because concrete is caustic. I sprayed some Pam on the mold so the concrete wouldn't stick to it when I went to un-mold the concrete.
Then in a bucket, I mixed some mortar mix with water to get a thick, pasty consistancy. Not too wet, not too dry.
The mortar was poured on the centre of the mold, then patted down with my hands, right up to the edge of the wall hanging (mold).
I then covered the concrete with plastic so it could cure.
After 2 days, I uncovered the concrete, flipped the mold over and removed it. The mold can be used over and over again.

This is the result:
4.JPG

Clear as mud?
:roll:

CdnChelsea

Postby Northpine » Jul 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your process.. I think I get it. I have the perfect base for a bowl like you crafted. For years I've had this base of an old ashtray stand. It is very sturdy and solid. Currently it's just being used as a plant stand, but I think it could be more.
So I'll keep that in mind when I shop now.
But for today, I can only dream about doing anything like that. I've hurt my back and can barely walk, let only play with concrete.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Eeyore » Jul 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Not sure I understand that process 100% but it sure turned out cool!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Clyde212 » Jul 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Nice find! I have been busy making mosaic cement stepping stones and hypertufa troughs. I was curious how you do the rhubarb leaf. I was looking at trying. And when you say mortar, is it straight out of the bag or a mix?

Clyde
Clyde212

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 06, 2011 5:21 am

Clyde, please post some pictures of your creations! I would love to see them. :)

I have been playing with different types of cement for the rhubarb leaf bird baths. The mortar mix
'Quikrete' is straight from the bag, the sand is already in it. Just add water. Be sure not to buy the concrete with stones in it.

Choose a large, sturdy, unblemished leaf from your garden.

Make a heap of sand (do not pack down tightly) about 6 inches deep and 4 to 6 inches larger than the leaf all around.

To form the bowl of the bird bath, mound up the sand in the middle.

Press the leaf gently into the sand, with the bottom side of the leaf facing upward. Push sand around the edges where needed and add a little more under the leaf where required. This supports the leaf under the layer of heavy concrete you'll apply.

With gloves on, spread the concrete mixture over the leaf to form a layer about 1/2 inch thick, following the contours and thinning to about 1/4 inch at the edges.

Cover your leaf with plastic and let set for 48 hours.

After 48 hours, turn your leaf over and pull the leaf off the concrete. If some of the rhubarb leaf sticks to the concrete, allow it to completely dry and then remove the remaining leaf.

CdnChelsea

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas