Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Rock garden?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Rock garden?

Postby Goldens » Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

I have a big area at the back of my yard that has me stumped. I don't know what to do with it. It has a large purple leaved tree and a crabapple tree at the back with an evergreen shrub off to the side. The rest is a mix of rocks, gravel, grass and weeds. Right now I'm just keeping it mowed down as best I can. But I wondered if I should work with what's there and turn it into a rock garden. Well, it would be more of a 'stone/rock/ground cover' garden.

Has anyone started one of these from scratch? I'd love to hear how you approached the design, plant selection and the 'groundwork'.
Goldens

Re: Rock garden?

Postby earwig » Jun 29, 2011 5:52 am

I have done two little ones but I also volunteer at a public Rock Garden which twiged my interest and learning by doing is the best way to learn IMO.
In fact I have to head out there this morning so will try tonight to write out a few thoughts if others haven't done so by then.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 29, 2011 3:35 pm

Absolutely. Last year my mom brought me a few alpines, and I had a bunch of rocks left in the yard that borded sickly trees (removed) and a weedy gravel pad. So I've turned it into a rock garden and it was the best bed ever! So, this year I cleaned up and pulled up a couple of huge bushes from the side of the house and turned it into a rock garden too. Seeing I am not a construction worker I went for the dry river bed look. :) I will be posting updated garden pictures in a few days, so if you are curious, you can check them out :)
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Goldens » Jun 29, 2011 5:19 pm

I would love to see pictures of the rock gardens you have created.

I've ordered a few books on the topic and I'm reading up on the Internet, too.
Goldens

Postby Countryboy » Jun 29, 2011 6:53 pm

I had a client once who went with the dry river bed look. It was beautiful when we installed it. :) Beautiful too when the leaves started to come down. :)

But cleaning the leaves out of it?!! . . . was a nightmare. :x

A blower is abt the only way to do it. :cry:
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 30, 2011 1:15 pm

One of my beds is flat, and the other is on the slope = no leaves problem, even on the opuntias. Wish I could say the same about the fence around the property that turns into a Select Examples of Local Garbage Exhibition after every major windstorm (meaning every week or so in Calgary) :)
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby earwig » Jun 30, 2011 10:28 pm

OK Golden, here are a few pictures of the two rock gardens I made.

The first one I made is a crevice garden although I think I made the crevices too wide. I have a lot of rough flat rock available so that is why I chose that type of rock. I used a slope off my sitting area that I was never happy with.
april - 09.jpg
Just about finished April 2009
may -10.jpg
May 2010
june-11.jpg
June 2011

The other was a difficult area by my driveway that was the result of excavations for the placement of my mini home. It contained large rocks that I could not move by hand so attempted to put soil around them but never liked what I had done. So I asked my brother assistance with his handy rig to remove the two larger ones.
may10.jpg
Removal of large rocks May 2010
I thought he had got them all but when I continued digging i discovered another I could not move
septa10.jpg
One by crowbar refused to budge September 2010
and I tried to work around it and placed a few rocks but it just was not what I wanted.
sept-10.jpg
Playing around with troughs and rocks. Sept 2010
So this spring I added a lot of soil to cover the rock that would not move and made a hump. Decided it would stay this way.
June11.jpg
Mostly planted but more will be added. June 2011

click photo to make larger.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Goldens » Jun 30, 2011 11:45 pm

Wow - those look like very intense projects - well done! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)

I know what you mean about being dissatisfied when some things just don't work out the way you wanted. You're never satisfied until you go back and accomplish your original vision.
Goldens

Postby Goldens » Jul 01, 2011 11:58 am

Okay, I've been reading up on creating rock gardens and there is far more to it than I thought. Not sure if this is beyond me - both as a novice gardener and limited in budget (especially after this foundation year of countless bags of soil, compost etc and tons of plants).

I'm on the lookout for a seminar or workshop on it but I suspect there won't be anything until next spring.

Still, this project idea has caught my interest and I'm excited about the possibility. I think rock gardens are beautiful. It might be a great solution to that troublesome area of my yard. Also, it will give some variety to the landscape. That's if I can keep my rock loving Golden retriever out of it! :)
Goldens

Postby Trailblaze1 » Jul 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Loove those rock gardens, earwig! Artistry.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas