Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Sad garlic

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Sad garlic

Postby stvdc » Jul 07, 2011 8:19 am

I water daily, my soil is moist, but most of the stalks on my garlic are turning brown & papery. Any adice?
stvdc

Re: Sad garlic

Postby davefrombc » Jul 07, 2011 10:27 am

Unless they have contracted a disease of some sort , that most likely means the garlic is maturing... Garlic is normally planted in the fall , just like flower bulbs for tulips, daffs and such .. They begin growing to set roots and go dormant until spring when they emerge with the flowering ones and grow to create their new bulbs .. Depending on the variety, some mature fairly quick, so depending on your region and when growth started , they could be maturing, with the top growth dying back as the bulbs finish filling out.
davefrombc

Postby stvdc » Jul 07, 2011 11:04 am

Ah, shows what a noob I am. My wife gave them to me already sprouted from a nursery for Father's Day. Maybe I'll set aside a head or two of garlic for planting this fall. Thanks.
stvdc

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi STVDC,

Just a note, to grow garlic at home you should use certified garlic obtained from a garden store for planting. The stuff in the grocer's is usually treated and may not do well establishing as a plant.

Good Luck...
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby stvdc » Jul 10, 2011 4:18 pm

Gotchya.

And when should I plant said garlic?
stvdc

Postby davefrombc » Jul 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Plant garlic at the same time you plant your other fall bulbs; about 2 to 3 weeks before the ground freezes in your area .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby failed slacker » Jul 11, 2011 11:38 am

Heidi S wrote:Hi STVDC,

Just a note, to grow garlic at home you should use certified garlic obtained from a garden store for planting. The stuff in the grocer's is usually treated and may not do well establishing as a plant.

Good Luck...
Or he could just use the fullest cloves from the garlic is currently growing. I'm pretty sure he's not treating those. :wink: Alternativly, get some garlic at your local farmers market since they don't treat it either. This is especially good since you get a line that is adapted to your local climate.

Oh, and you want to use the fullest cloves since that will lead to the best garlic next season. You could use the smaller cloves, but it leads to less harvest down the line.
failed slacker

Postby Smitty » Jul 11, 2011 12:00 pm

how long til you get edible garlic from seed???

and can I pull this garlic when seeds are ripe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Return to Container Gardening