Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

silverleaf dogwood

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

silverleaf dogwood

Postby bridgit On 5b » Jul 10, 2011 6:36 pm

The leaves on my silverleaf dogwood are turning white and dying. I pruned the first few but now they are getting worse. Is this fungas and are there any nautral ways to get rid of this regardless of what this is?
bridgit On 5b

Re: silverleaf dogwood

Postby Ian66 » Jul 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Are there spots on the leaves as well? Dogwoods are very susceptible to anthracnose which is a fungus that affects the leaves and small branches.......this fungus will cause the leaves to fall off.....the only fungicides licensed for use in Ontario are garden sulphur and copper sulphate.....both will help control the spread of certain fungus.......

Make sure that the dogwoods are receiving adequate moisture, since they like "wet feet"

Ian
Ian66

Postby bridgit On 5b » Jul 11, 2011 12:33 pm

nope no spots, just turn completely white and the shrivel up an die...itseems to affect complete branches at a time
bridgit On 5b

Postby Ian66 » Jul 11, 2011 12:57 pm

Sounds like you do not have a disease problem which is good.......my silverleaf dogwoods will produce some branches with pure yellow to white leaves and I find that they scorch and die as yours are doing......not sure, but I suspect that this may be a genetic "sport" (anomaly).....I clip these branches off, since they never seem to do well........

Ian
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk