Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

starting over

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

starting over

Postby soozyq » Aug 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,
First of all I live in Ontario, zone 4b or 5 I believe.
I have this horrible weed problem. It looks like a vine with a pink flower...not sure what it is but holy mackeral does it grow fast and take over. I have been fighting this for a few years and can't even leave it for a week without losing my mind !
My question is...if i remove the perrenials and start over how do I get rid of them once and for all? Do I cover it all with the newspaper, or plastic ? I only have this problem thankfully in this one garden. I am tired of the fight...help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your response.
soozyq

Re: starting over

Postby Eeyore » Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

Does it look like a morning glory? I'm just curious because it doesn't really matter. :D

If you remove all the plants you want to save and make sure to carefully clean the root balls and then pot up in some new soil. Then cover the entire problem garden with black poly and leave it down for one year it should kill off all the weeds in your garden. If you wish you could give it a shot of Round-Up before covering it up. A heavy layer of wet newspapers would work as well but keep it down until at least next spring. Then check for any weeds coming up. If there are any reapply the plastic and leave it awhile longer.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas