Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Fruit trees

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Fruit trees

Postby Squasheater » Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm

I am planning some changes in my backyard and I would like to plant 2 fruit trees. I would like to be able to preserve the fruit for the winter. Any suggestions on a low maintenance type of fruit tree?
I was wondering about maybe a plum tree and a pear tree?
We are not so keen on applesauce and I already have concord grapes.
Also, where is a good place to purchase fruit trees.
I am in zone 5 - central Ontario (Grey/Bruce County)
Squasheater

Re: Fruit trees

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 07, 2011 2:56 am

As far as I know, you need two of each tree in order to produce fruit, unless you have a neighbors that have the fruit trees nearby. Check to see which fruit trees are self-pollinating if you don't have the space.

I have one Pembina plum tree in my yard (my neighbor was to plant the other one in her yard, but they moved away). This plum sets fruit but it aborts most of it. I had about 12 plums from it this year. Also consider the pollinating times for each variety (fruit trees bloom at different times) for optimal pollination. Make sure you pick a plum that has canning qualities. My plum tasted great but it has a really tough skin and loose flesh.

I'm in Saskatchewan, so can't advise where to buy plants. However, I think it would be best to spend as much as you can afford in order to get healthy plants that will give you fruit sooner rather than later.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Sep 07, 2011 10:42 am

You should be able to plant both Plum and Pear in your zone. As Donna mentions though, check what you plan to buy and see if you are going to need a pollinator.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Sep 07, 2011 10:47 am

Believe it or not, the Canadian Tire in Owen Sound probably carries a number of fruit trees that should be hardy in yr area.

I have a dwarf, self pollinating Sweet Cherry . . called Tehranivee . . in a zone 5. Originally from Canadian Tire . . it's now established . . and gets better every year! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Sep 07, 2011 10:48 am

I'm still looking for A Crimson Passion Cherry...... :roll: :roll: Maybe next year!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby beeman » Sep 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I am planning some changes in my backyard and I would like to plant 2 fruit trees. I would like to be able to preserve the fruit for the winter. Any suggestions on a low maintenance type of fruit tree?

I have quite an orchard producing all sorts of stuff, all of which we can and process.
Plums, a good one for me in Orillia, Mount Royal, self fertile, blue, nice sized for canning, very sweet.
Reliance peach. This was it's first production year, only 3, but OMG were they good. No more store bought for me.
Apricots. Planted this year, but growing extremely well.
Nectarines. Again first year but doing well.
Pears. Flemish beauty, a good producer, self fertile. good producer.
Pears. Bartlett, as above, but needs a pollinator, in my case Flemish beauty.
To produce stone fruit this far North, look for winter hardy trees, summer prune, fertilize annually.
A good source for fruit trees, good selection, good quality and knowledgeable staff. Bradford Greenhouses, Barrie.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Lulu » Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am

beeman wrote:Plums, a good one for me in Orillia, Mount Royal, self fertile, blue, nice sized for canning, very sweet.
Reliance peach. This was it's first production year, only 3, but OMG were they good. No more store bought for me.
Apricots. Planted this year, but growing extremely well.
Nectarines. Again first year but doing well.
Pears. Flemish beauty, a good producer, self fertile. good producer.
Pears. Bartlett, as above, but needs a pollinator, in my case Flemish beauty.
To produce stone fruit this far North, look for winter hardy trees, summer prune, fertilize annually.
A good source for fruit trees, good selection, good quality and knowledgeable staff. Bradford Greenhouses, Barrie.

Beeman, are most of your trees for zone 5? I love Bradford Greenhouse and generally travel to Barrie a few times a year to check it out, and always come back with a full van load of stuff, but sometimes am too early or too late for what I am looking for!

We bought several cherry trees there, but it seems like anything tolerant for zone 4 are all sour cherries, not the sweet ones? And you are right, the staff is very knowledgeable; I did ask for suggestions for sweet cherries, but think they were all higher zoned. Any recommendations?
Lulu

Postby beeman » Sep 08, 2011 9:18 am

All the trees we grow are for zone 5 and less, some are up to zone 3!
So you can grow soft stone fruit further North than we are.
You need to look for fruit trees about late March mid May would be ideal, from Bradford. You could place an order, then they'll contact you when ready, all are in pots, no bare roots.
As to sweet cherries, can't help. You could try http://www.greenbarnnursery.ca/Home.page they are from Quebec, have lots of cold hardy stock. I bought two trees from them, very satisfied.
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby Lulu » Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks, Beeman; nice site; good prices,,several varieties of different fruit trees ok for zone 4,,,but, ouch, the S&H; will check it out, again later; we have relatives in Quebec,,so,,might be worthwhile to take a roadtrip!

Ron,,they even have paw paw trees!
Lulu

Postby beeman » Sep 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Shipping?? Don't talk to me about that! OMG you should see what we're being charged to ship simple packages to various parts of the country. If you live in the sticks, then I feel sorry for you.
Off the beaten track, by UPS, can cost you an excess charge of $65 plus the cost of shipping, plus taxes. Don't even think of shipping to the US. All they then need is your first born!!!
What can 'Brown" do for you? Put you out of business!!
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening