Garden Seed Exchange - Gardening Forums

Help with Carrot Seed

Forget the seed catalogues. Trading seeds is a great way to expand your garden with new plants, flowers, fruits, vegetables, shrubs, and trees.

Help with Carrot Seed

Postby klr650teach » Oct 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hello all, this is my first season for growing my own root crop seed. My beets turned out wonderfully and will have lots of seed there but my carrots I'm not so sure of.

We had a very cold wet spring. Tomatoes and peppers were six weeks late getting into the ground and I had ground frost the previous weekend prior to putting them out into the soil of the garden.

I overwintered my carrot for the seed crop in sawdust in my cold room. It started to push new tops out around Feb so I placed it near a basement window so it could receive a little light. Once the weather warmed enough I planted the carrot in the ground very gently to protect the hair like roots. It has grown into this massive deformed thing that looks like something out of a sci fi movie lol and it has one large seed spray flower and another smaller one now that is starting to form. Sorry I don't know the proper names for things but the little flowerettes that are forming seeds are still quite green in color. The white miniature petals have fallen about a month back.

I'm wondering when I should be trying to collect the seed from those from those flowerettes? Also are there any tips like tieing a paper bag around the seed flower to catch the seed? Just a thought. Can anyone steer me in the right direction here? Thanks
Penticton, BC in the Sunny Okanagan Valley. Zone 5a
klr650teach

Re: Help with Carrot Seed

Postby floricole » Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello
here is tthe best link I have use to produce my own seed everiting is explaine and maybe more :P
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/seeds.html
if you need help pm me
floricole

Re: Help with Carrot Seed

Postby klr650teach » Oct 24, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks so much. Great video but it looks like my carrots seed production is going to run out of time this season. I had grown a Nantes variety and already made a mistake by only saving a couple roots to make seed from. Video says a minimum of 20 and 40 being even better. Live and learn huh!

Ian....
Penticton, BC in the Sunny Okanagan Valley. Zone 5a
klr650teach

Return to Garden Seed Exchange