Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

disposal of dirt and sod?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

disposal of dirt and sod?

Postby copperbeech » Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am

The only aspect of home landscaping that I dread is the disposal of the sod and crappy dirt i.e. clay that naturally arise in any garden creation. I would like to expand an existing garden that is located in my front yard. It will not be a large addition (50 square feet at most) and it will be done only using hand tools ie my shovel. For those of you in an urban high density residential community what do you all do regarding such 'waste' removal? I for sure dont need a large renovation waste bin but I am thinking "The Bagster" which I see advertised is too small? Any suggestions?
copperbeech

Re: disposal of dirt and sod?

Postby davefrombc » Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am

Unless you are leveling a high spot to build your garden , you shouldn't need to remove the dirt and sod .. Just dig and turn over the sod to allow it to rot and add to the fertility of the soil. You can amend the clay soil with the addition of fine sand and sawdust. The combination of the amendments and the turned over sod should give the new area a bit of boost in fertility, and at the same time solve what would be a disposal issue.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby copperbeech » Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I do understand except due to the uneven elevation of this particular area sod and soil does need to be removed.
copperbeech

Postby Countryboy » Oct 28, 2011 7:49 am

Waste removal during home renovations is getting to be a large part of overall calculations. I kinda like the new inventions for it like the Bagster . . . very handy!

The area of yr new garden is approximately 50 square feet. U will be digging out how much??? . . maybe half a foot?

So that would be 50 square feet X 1/2' = 25 cubic feet . . . approximately one cubic yard . . . 3' X 3' X 3'. Probably a Bagster would be big enuf. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Most Waste Disposal sites will take that type of waste at no cost. Is that an option for you?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ben01 » Mar 07, 2012 9:38 pm

I have that exact same problem. I now have a pile of rocky soil about two to three feet high and six feet long at the side of my house. I'm going to be doing more digging and planting this season so it's going to increase. It's a really problem. I even thought I could hide some of it by shaking it under a spruce tree at the side of my property. Now every day I see a little tell-tale mound that I want to get rid of.

I think for people in our situation we have to go with a removal service where you rent a bin and they drop it off in your driveway and you fill it. I've rented one before for household junk and it wasn't all that expensive.

I think they differ by area so I am not sure what to suggest.
ben01

Postby Dumbo » Mar 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Eeyore wrote:Most Waste Disposal sites will take that type of waste at no cost. Is that an option for you?

Yup. This will depend on the municipality you are in.

Some city dumps will take waste for free. Or some will be free 3x per calendar year type thing. Or some will just charge no matter what.

I got rid of clay and rocky dirt this past year for myself and a neighbour.

The city I am in allows you 3 free trips to the city dump per year. Be it one standard trailer full of garbage or a bag. I dumped a trailer. For my neighbour he had 8 5-gallons buckets of dirt to get rid of.

Check your cities website (or call) and ask about bringing non-contaminated earth, soil, or clay to the dump and if there's a cost.

EDIT:
Or, if need be, ask a neighbour if they know someone with a trailer (if it's a huge amount) and pay them to cart it to the dump for you.
Dumbo

Postby Kim1981 » Mar 14, 2012 7:58 am

Fire it into your neighbours yard when their not looking ;o) J/K
It's free at my dump to dispose of yard yaste but like mentioned, every where is diffferent.
Maybe someone you know has a truck you can borrow?
My theory is everyone should have the following for a friend:

-Someone with a truck
-A plumber
-An Electrician
-A Lawyer (you never know)
8)
===================
Kim
Zone 5
Kim1981

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas