Feedback - Gardening Forums

Scams , trojans & viruses

We want to hear from you. Share your feedback and tell us what’s on your mind.

Scams , trojans & viruses

Postby davefrombc » Dec 09, 2011 12:52 am

I don't see an easily accessed thread about the nasties out there , so I'm starting this one .. I've mentioned before some tools and warnings on recognizing the threats , so I won't repeat them here unless asked for ..

Today , I received 2 phishing scam mails .. one claiming to be from my PayPal and one from my bank . Both looked very legitimate and could hook the unwary. Biggest tipoffs?.. I didn't have an account with that bank, and PayPal message was sent to wrong address.
The two scam mails were using different traps to get me to give my information.. One by an attachment , the other by a poisoned website link.
The mail messages looked legitimate, and didn't give clues they weren't unless you went through it closely. Remember ..... never respond or click anything in an e-mail you get about "your account" . Always go to the site you know is legitimate and you type in, or phone your bank or account issuer if you think there might be a real problem. Never click a link in the e-mail.

This is the season for the scammers to be putting out maximum effort to rob you .. Don't fall for their sucker baits .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Re: Scams , trojans & viruses

Postby Smitty » Dec 09, 2011 9:46 am

sure glad we have you here to explain this all to us Dave and keep us on our toes
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby B_BQ » Dec 09, 2011 10:26 am

I've had a couple too, but fortunately, because of people like Dave and others, I do not open. I've also instructed my husband to NOT open anything that looks even a bit suspicious. Unfortunately, he's very trusting and a bit naive when it comes to what dreadful things other people are capable of. He tells me I'm too cynical; perhaps I am!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm

It is much better to be cynical than deal with the aftermath of clicking on some of those poisoned links . At best they can be annoying , at worst , a real hit in the pocketbook .
The fake anti-virus and the fake hard drive failure warning ransomware programs cost a lot of people a lot of money and headaches before the creators of them were finally caught and shut down.. a very rare occurrence . I had to help a couple of friends and contacts recover their computers after clicking on them . For those lucky enough to have avoided them, those programs popped up a warning of a "virus attack or impending hard drive failure " and started what looked like a drive scan . Victims clicked on the link in the scam and got infected .. Their computer was locked down until they went to a website and paid to have the "virus removed or hard drive fixed" . That cost them the price demanded , in the cases I dealt with .. $75, and also gave the scammers their credit information , and in the case of the fake a'v left spyware on their computer even though they could again use their browser.. The fake hard drive utility didn't get " fixed" after they lost their money and gave away their credit information .
A lot of people had to wipe their computer and reload windows ..... and most of those people did not have their system or files backed up , so lost everything.
Fortunately the fake a/v was easy to remove with Malwarebytes, and there were two small programs on one of the computer help sites to disable the fake hard drive program , and to unhide all the files it hid .. Then Malwarebytes was able to remove the trojan.
Ask hubby if he really wants to go through "fun" like that by tossing caution to the wind and clicking without thinking.
davefrombc

Postby A Closet Canuck » Dec 14, 2011 7:55 pm

davefrombc wrote:It is much better to be cynical than deal with the aftermath of clicking on some of those poisoned links . At best they can be annoying , at worst , a real hit in the pocketbook .....................

Oh, your post just sends chills down my spine. How evil some people can be and how they prey on others.
Thanks, Dave, for the good advice.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby davefrombc » Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm

I got another phishing scam message supposedly from eBay yesterday.
I went to eBay's page where they have info on recognizing a spoofed message from a real communication from them.
The information they give there to identify real from fake applies just as well to messages from the bank or other financial institution ,as well as social networking sites like Facebook , Twitter, and the various messaging services like Windows Live Messenger , Yahoo Messenger or Google Talk.
Here is a copy and paste of their information:

How to tell if an email is really from eBay

Checking for legitimate eBay messages
Characteristics of spoof (fake) email

If you receive an email that appears to be from eBay that requests sensitive personal information, be cautious. The email may be a "spoof" or "phishing" email. The people who send these fake emails hope that unsuspecting recipients will reply or click on a link contained in the email and then provide confidential information including passwords, social security numbers, or credit card numbers.
Checking for legitimate eBay messages

The easiest way to verify whether an email is from us is to check your eBay messages. If we really sent the message, a copy of it will appear in the Messages area of My eBay when you sign into your eBay account.
To check your eBay messages:

Go to http://www.ebay.ca and sign into your account.

Click My eBay at the top of the page and click the Messages tab.

Characteristics of spoof (fake) email

Spoof emails often include the eBay logo and a fake eBay address in the "From" line (for example, "From: support@ebay.ca") The email might mimic common eBay emails, such as notifications of problems with your account, "Ask a question" emails, or offers to become an eBay PowerSeller.

However, just because an email uses eBay terms or includes the eBay logo, doesn't mean it's really from us. Pay attention to signs that the email might be a spoof.

Typical spoof (fake) email

Legitimate eBay email

Spoof emails often ask for confidential information.

For example, "Please update your credit card number."

√ We won't ask you to provide confidential information by email.

√ Any links in the email are provided for convenience only. If a direct link is provided to an eBay page, you won't be required to submit confidential information.

Spoof emails often have an urgent tone for quick action.

For example, "Ignoring this message will result in a suspension of your account within 24 hours."

√ Our emails never include threats.

Spoof emails might contain attachments.

√ Our emails never include attachments. If you receive a message with an attachment, don't open it.

Spoof emails often include a generic greeting.

For example, "Attention eBay member."

√ Our email greetings typically contain the first and last name you registered on your eBay account, and your eBay user ID.

Here is eBay's page with a tutorial on spotting spoofed messages:

http://pages.ebay.ca/education/spooftutorial/index.html
davefrombc

Postby davefrombc » Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Got a heads up in one of my newsletters today about new FaceBook scams going around .
Here's a link to the article about it .
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-573588 ... ag=nl.e757
davefrombc

Return to Feedback