Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Driftwood with burl

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Driftwood with burl

Postby Lulu » Dec 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Hubby brought this home for me; it was left in one of the storage containers we rent out. I am totally shocked that he thought of keeping it for me!

I want to incorporate this into the garden,,my idea was to put it in a large pot,,with something climbing on it,,maybe a passion flower?

Any and all ideas welcome!
Attachments
Driftwood with burl.JPG
Driftwood w Burls.JPG
Lulu

Re: Driftwood with burl

Postby orchidguy » Dec 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Lulu,
This would look great with a climber over it. IMO, I think a smaller leaved plant (hedera...) would not compete with the beauty of this wood.
Something else that would look wonderful is to stand it in an ornate pot, vase, ewer.... and mount either one larger or a few mini orchid on it.
Oh yeah, one last thing. If this is not coated with anything, it would be great in an aquarium set amongst some vallisneria
orchidguy

Postby Lulu » Dec 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Dan, I really like the idea of the orchid, either large or the minis.

That was my intention, that whatever I put with it, had to allow the beauty of the wood to show.

I just had a good look at it, and am not sure if it is coated or not. The surface is, for the most part, very smooth & shiny, so, would not take the chance of putting it in the aquarium.

Besides,,I want this for my garden; the fish have enough stuff!

I might think about the orchid in the house, in the winter, and something climbing, outside, under the gazebo, for the summer.
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Dec 29, 2011 12:03 am

Lulu,
I think a few mini's would look great on it.
My suggestion would be small plants with loads of bloom like dendrobium bullenianum, d. liguiforme, d. loddigesii (beautiful pink and yellow large blooms in long sprays), or a few mini cats or even oncidium alliance with beautiful fan shaped leaves.
The best place for minis (IMO) in Canada is Clouds orchids
orchidguy

Postby Lulu » Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am

Wow, Dan! That's quite the selection!

Had to look them all up; also went to Cloud's website; still drooling!

Haven't got the time to pursue it right now, but you've given me lots of choices when I do! Thanks so much for your help!
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » Feb 05, 2012 11:03 pm

Heya Linda,
found a couple of pics that might inspire you in this project, once you have the time for it.
orc2.jpeg
orc2.jpeg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
orc1.jpeg
orc1.jpeg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
orchidguy

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas