Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

New Pathway

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

New Pathway

Postby Kim1981 » Mar 14, 2012 7:50 am

Hi,
I started to renovate my flagstone pathway yesterday. The people that owned the house before us installed it but didn't do it correcctly so the rocks had sunk into the ground and became 75% covered in grass. Most of the rocks I didn't know were there until I hit them with the shovel.
Anyway, instead of grass growing between the steps I wanted to try planting creeping thyme (by seed).
I bought some "Magic Carpet Thyme" yesterday from Veseys. Anyone have experience with thyme in their ppathways? How long does it take to establish? Also, do you know where I can find some pix?
===================
Kim
Zone 5
Kim1981

Re: New Pathway

Postby Eeyore » Mar 14, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Kim, I did not have much luck growing thyme from seed but did plant thyme plants. They grow quickly and full in well. Once a season I have to give them a "haircut" because it will grow over top of the stones. It looks great between the stones.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm

A neighbour of one of my in-laws grows this on the side of his house instead of grass.

He used seed.

That's all I know.
Dumbo

Postby Kim1981 » Mar 15, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks,
The pathway is pretty long so the seeds are the only way to go, buying the plants would cost an arm & a leg.
===================
Kim
Zone 5
Kim1981

Postby Eeyore » Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

We were able to cut the 4" square pots into 3 or 4 pieces each. We used Wooly Thyme and it grew very quickly. The first year we did 3 or 4 pots and were able to use cuttings by the end of the season to do another part of the walk. This year we will finish the walk with cuttings. Magic Carpet may do better from seed than the Wooly thyme did. At any rate it grows quicky and needs to be trimmed back or it will take over your stones.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Mar 19, 2012 8:57 am

I don't see your location but if anywhere near central Nova Scotia I would gladly give you oodles of thyme. The draw back with using thyme on pathways that are used in the winter months is that it is hard to use a push snow shovel on them.

I am surprised Lyn that wooley thyme survives your zone as I found it not always that hardy in my 5.

It does increase quickly.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby Kim1981 » Mar 19, 2012 9:11 am

I'm north of Toronto but thanks for the offer! I guess I'll just have to plant them and see how it grows.
I'll update and post pics once they get started.
===================
Kim
Zone 5
Kim1981

Postby Eeyore » Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

Surprisingly it does quite well Betty. It is on a path that doesn't get used in the winter. We've had some die back but we always have extra to fill in the empty spots once the season gets going.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby earwig » Mar 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I am going to have to speak to mine although I see it came through this past winter just fine.
Actually I find that everybody's garden has different factors about them so just one more reason to push the zone.
Betty
"The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon
earwig

Postby CarolynM » Mar 29, 2012 9:21 am

we have a very large flagstone walkway, I planted some irish moss last year but it is quite costly and will take me years to get it all filled in, I get some kind of moss that grows in the walkway and when green looks very nice but now it is getting brown and going to seed and doesn't look so hot, anyone know what that is called.
CarolynM

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas