Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Fence: PVC or Wood

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Fence: PVC or Wood

Postby OGrubber » Apr 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Beautiful garden Scrap!
No one's blowing grass seed into that gem everytime they mow.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 03, 2012 3:36 pm

I like the look of wood more than plastic, but I think you need to buy according to your circumstances. If you don't want any maintenance issues, then pvc/composite may be the way to go. My elderly mother-in-law had her new deck built with it...cost a fortune btw. I personally never buy anything that is an imitation of the real thing but the ones that were posted on this thread look quite sharp.

One thing I will mention is, be careful with your interactions with this neighbour. He don't sound like a nice person and you don't want to start a feud with him. If he's not interested in paying for half the fence, then leave it be. You can certainly focus on putting up the nice side facing you and who cares what he has to look at.

Our new neighbours are clueless when it comes to gardening. They hardly mow their lawn and their yard is overgrown with weeds...what are the chances of these knuckleheads helping to pay for a fence?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Countryboy » Apr 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Eeyore wrote:It will likely be about 1.5 times the cost of the pine but has 2 advantages.1 - it doesn't have preservatives added to the wood, and 2 - it takes a LONG time to rot out and can be left unstained if you like the aged cedar look.

Cedar doesn't rot so quickly 'coz it has natural poisons/preservatives. U can't really buy any treated wood that has enuf poisons/preservatives in it to harm a gnat. And u can't even buy Creosote any more . . . made from 'natural' wood poisons.

We're very well protected these days....
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » Apr 03, 2012 7:01 pm

@Scrapinthehat
Wow. That really does look nice. My wife is looking at it and loves it. She said it makes it look being worth double the cost of wood.

Well, I definitely got better idea's here than in some construction forum.

It also opened my eyes that Rona, which is about 30-40$ cheaper per panel, may be made of a more flimsy PVC material. So costs may be a 500$ more than what I expect if this turns out to be true. I'll have to really check out the PVC more carefully. It isn't as cut and dry (standard) as I was thinking.

Thursday I'm going to some specialty fence stores and i'll find out more info.

Still not sure what to do. I'll just lay all the options and costs out then let my wife decide. Then go see Mr. Fence Rotter.

As for people saying to put the ugly side on his side, there is a city by-law against that. If I buy pre-fab wood panels, the ugly side has to be my side. If I decide to make it myself, then I could put the beams on my side, but screw the rough side facing him.

Actually, this was something another neighbour to the right of me was pissed off about. The people we bought the house from just tossed the fence up before we bought it, putting the gawd awful ugly sides facing all the neighbors. One of the neighbors pointed out the bylaw to me and said, "if I was a bad guy I could call the city and make you take that fence down". And he is absolutely right. It's clearly written. So I said if that's what you want to do then I have no problem going to small claims against the previous owner to recoup costs for something not to code. Or I'll stain your side of the fence, we can share a few brew and life goes on. We've been best of friends since.

I don't know the whole story with the other neighbour yet, but i'll soon find out when I go visit him. It could be the same type situation. But this guy really annoyed me by purposely rotting the fence out and not wanting his "fall look being disturb". *@^#!

@Kelly. Yeah many people like composite. I've only seen decks and not fences though. It looks ugly to me. But then again so did the PVC fence at first till I saw the pic above by Scrapinthehat. Will see what they have, if they have this.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Apr 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Our next-door-neighbours put in a lovely composite deck last year. It looks gorgeous - the colour of well weathered cedar. They could have afforded real cedar but decided to go the composite route because they really didn't want to bother with any sort of maintenance. They paired it with a gorgeous white wooden gazebo complete with a copper-topped pergola.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my yard. Truly appreciated.

As with PVC fencing, composite decking comes in various grades/qualities. Some can be quite realistic looking, IMHO. This is part of our new deck built three years ago...sorry that the pic is a little dark. This particular composite is a medium gray color and is quite "grainy". Another area of the deck has a border of brown in it to break up the large expense of gray and tie in with some furniture.

Note: you can just see the corner of the composite pergola on the right hand of the pic.
And...even the furniture is no maintenance...lol!
Attachments
Composite Deck v3.jpg
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby kelly_m » Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Oh man, Scrap!!! I wanna come live at your house!

says she who desperately needs a new deck!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 03, 2012 11:03 pm

You're very kind Kelly.

This summer the deck will be three years old. The year prior to installing it we didn't dare go out on the deck AT ALL as it was that rotted. I was scared someone would fall through. The worst part is that people thought they were safe on it because it had a rubber tile covering which essentially did nothing but hide the decrepid boards and absorb heat. It was a giant mess. We wanted to put a new deck in then, but knew if we waited a year we could get the deck we really wanted.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Scrapinthehat

Postby kelly_m » Apr 03, 2012 11:19 pm

It's a very nice deck. I like the grey with the white!

I know what you mean about the rotting. I have the BBQ out there but this is the ssecond year where I will allow no more than one person on the deck...I know wherre the rotting boards are!

it is getting replaced, but unfortunately I will have to go with PT....composite is way out of my buudget. OTOH anything will be nicer than what I have!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 03, 2012 11:34 pm

Be sure to take pics Kelly. "Before" and "after" shots are so inspirational.
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence