Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Fence: PVC or Wood

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Fence: PVC or Wood

Postby kelly_m » Apr 04, 2012 9:11 am

I have the before shots....will definitely take after shots!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Apr 06, 2012 7:54 am

Our first house taught me a lesson to never share a fence with a neighbor. We built the fence entirely at our own cost. Next door, the house changed hands & the new neighbor decided that he wanted a different color which was okay except he slopped it on & the new color of course bled through to our side....ugh ! Our next house....we ran a chain link fence with colored plastic slates woven through the links. Still looked good when I was transferred & we moved 4 yrs later.
The next property the fence was built entirely on our side of the property line, was cedar construction then creosoted. Stunk like crazy for about 3 weeks, then proceeded to weather to a nice golden hue. Looked great & no continuing maintenance for the 5 years we were there.
My current fence is also built entirely on our side of the property line & built entirely at our cost. The posts are 4 x 6 pressure treated lumber centered on 8 ft. spacing, 6 ft. high. Again .....all pressure treated wood. This fence is now 20 years old....no ongoing maintenance & the pressure treated lumber the color has softened to a pale green hue.
In fact no repairs of any sort during the past 20 yrs.
Of course one does not want to purchase pressure treated lumber from a box store but instead from a bonafide lumber yard. A little more expensive but you get true pressure treated lumber. Whereas the box stores their so called pressure treated lumber appears to have been sprayed on rather than pressure treated & penetration of preservative not much more than 1/8" which is not evident until you saw a plank & the fresh cut discloses the poor penetration of the preservative.
So there you have it. I'm not a fan of composite materials because I have no experience
with them so no help to you on score.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby kelly_m » Apr 06, 2012 8:07 am

Now there is a good point to remember......Or learn! Yes, i have seen the PT lumber from some stores cut a lovely gold brown on the inside. The Emphasis seems to be on the Treated not the Pressure :shock:

Have a local lumber place here...prices actually are reasonable and that could get ME at least, some cedar instead of PT....Hmmmmm...Thanks Lee!!LOL and maybe swing a deal because they can have 21 of of my non-beloved white pines....and I know the family who owns it.......

it would seem your crusty cynicism comes in hand some times!!! :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Dumbo » Apr 07, 2012 1:43 pm

OK, so we dumped PVC. It will be wood.

Cedar:
Prefab 6'x8' x5/8"-thick ~1600$
If I buy the cedar myself from a box store, ~1300$ but 1" thick.

I didn't check a lumber yard yet. I should.

LeeInEdmonton wrote:My current fence is also built entirely on our side of the property line & built entirely at our cost. The posts are 4 x 6 pressure treated lumber centered on 8 ft. spacing, 6 ft. high. Again .....all pressure treated wood.

Now, imagine if the guy next door piled 10-inches or so of earth on his side of your fence which is within your property line?

Would you say anything?
If it rotted or started to rot from constantly being wet, what would you do?
Dumbo

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Jul 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Hey Dumbo...long time since I have seen one of your postings. If the fence is cedar there is a lot of natural preservative there...good for about 10 years before rot becomes apparant. Your neighbor may not know that your fence is NOT a joint ownership fence & you could bring him up to speed NICELY. You might suggest that he also use cedar & attach planks longtitudly to YOUR fence to the height that he wants to pile dirt. That way you preserve what may be a good neighbour & both you & he will be happy

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence