Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

New Some Ideas On Renovation

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

New Some Ideas On Renovation

Postby Kim1981 » Mar 27, 2012 10:39 am

I'm looking to renovate my front walkway and garden. I live in an 'L' shaped bungalow. I want to rip out the brick walkway and railway ties and put in some bigger natural stones. I also want to enlarge the gardens. The area gets afternoon sun. Any ideas?
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
===================
Kim
Zone 5
Kim1981

Re: New Some Ideas On Renovation

Postby styric » Mar 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Personally I'd change to interlocking stones or flagstone, and put in small raised beds. I like the design personally, but I'm not very good at it so someone else's opinion is probably better!
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Lizcordysmum » Apr 07, 2012 9:17 pm

I do like brick...esp. very old pink bricks...if only I could get enough of them.

As for the ties, if you plant things that are bushy and low...covering...it should take care of the ties.

They sell a black rubber/plastic edging for use instead of ties...you dig down, install this by the roll, and shore it up with soil. Works in mt backyard...ten years.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Laura » Apr 07, 2012 10:30 pm

It is a nice design but if you are going to tear it out I would consider widening the walk,looks narrow to me and this is just me but I like a walkway as wide as the entry.I think you are correct about using stones instead of the ties.Maybe make the beds with a curved edge too,you have enough straight lines there already.

Laura

Postby Countryboy » Apr 08, 2012 9:42 am

Wow!

U've got some very extensive hardscaping there. And it looks like it's well done. Replacing it all will be a ton of work!

Just great iff'n yr desperate for a project to kill LOTS of time . . . and money.

I'd be working with what's there. Curved lines is a good idea. So extend the beds beyond the ties in whatever shape u want. Leave the ties there and let greenery cover them. Yr gonna need some footing there in the middle of a bed so u can work on it.

More 'curves along the house wall would be great too.

It's hardly fair to look at landscaping at this *bare* time of year and judge it. It all looks so bleak . . . naturally! *wink*
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Eeyore » Apr 08, 2012 1:42 pm

If you take Frank's suggestion to work with what is there I would put shrubs along teh house side. maybe globe cedars and something like Bridal Wreath Spirea that will weep and provide a softening effect along the straight edge. Some low growing ground cover that can creep over the edge as well.
Then I would get rid of the "extra" ties and create a nice bed with softened, curved edges along the other side and along the front of the house.

If you really want to get rid of the brick then put in a flagstone path where the green area is between the existing path and the house, echo the curve around the step and transition into a garden along the front of the house using curved borders of course.

You will need stepping stones in areas to allow you into the garden to work. We used recycled bricks like you have there to create little platforms. Putting 4 together will create enough room for you to step and when the garden is up they will be quite hidden.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas