Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: 2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Dumbo,
I forgot to comment on your kumato experiment...I read on another forum that they will give you something comparable to the original fruit. Worth a shot anyway. I am attempting to germinate a pointed sweet red pepper and a habanero pepper from the grocery store. Might not amount to much, but it's fun to try.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby MareE » Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Have never seen such impressive lists here, Donna et al! Mind-boggled, exhausted reading them. :P Italian Noire is an Heirloom I'll be repeating. Thanks Brenda. ;o} Three plants of Inge's Schwarze Sarahs AT LEAST will get the premium location(s).

Well, this is the first time in 13 years that haven't a comprehensive compilation of veggies/herbs/squash/ornamentals complete with layouts/doodles put together by Mid-March. Just in last day or two started a very rough draft 2012 Veggie Journal in me 'ead. Most likely I'll be growing by seat of shorts more Gourds per square foot than anything else.

MareE not too worrit about actual List....yet. ;o}

And if it it weren't for the last minute, I'd never get anything done.

~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby B_BQ » Apr 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Just a note: I've saved seeds from the store bought Kumato and have not yet been successful in producing a fruit.

I think one of the very best tasting tomatoes out there is the Brandywine. Knobbly, large and heavy. Coming close are the Zebras; best Green, closely followed by Black and White. Most of the blacks are a great flavour; smokey, intense. I personally found Black Krim a bit watery, but that may be because of my particular conditions. Paul Robeson, black, is a wonderful tasting tomato. I've grown Debarro; it's good. Italian Noire, a small black plum, is outstanding. I grow Yellow Pear because I like to snack on them when working in the garden!

The San Marzano I grow are from heirloom seeds. There were two types in the package. One was just a regular plum shape but the other was an elongated shape. I've been growing the elongated shape now for a few years and it's a great producer.

The Gold Dust seeds I got from a local organic heirloom grower have produced beautifully. They're the best yellow/gold, in our opinion, that we have ever eaten. But, again, that's a matter of taste.

Tomatoes are such an individual taste. Some like sweet, some like smokey, some like bland, some like unusual colouration.

~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Brenda,
Now that I think about it, I think it's Campari tomatoes that you can grow out, not the Kumato.

Can you buy heirloom starts at your local nursery? You'd think Saskatoon would be large enough a center to have more variety in tomatoes. Seems there are lots of beefsteak, Manitoba, Celebrity, etc..available but hardly any heirlooms. I found a small flat of heirloom tomato plants at one local nursery and they were $4 just for one small 4" pot! I bought one plant and as it turned out, it was mislabeled!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby B_BQ » Apr 14, 2012 7:41 am

Donna: There is a small local 'nursery' where we can buy heirloom/heritage starter tomato plants. I used to buy from them a few years ago, but since I started saving my own seeds and starting them under grow lights in the basement I haven't been back. If she has the seeds you want she will start them specifically for you but you have to let her know pretty early. They used to cost $2.99 per plant, but that was a few years ago.

The same with Vicky's Organic Garden in Prince Edward County. She usually has a big spring sale and you can buy whatever variety she has started. Good quality too. She also will grow your specific preference if you give her enough time. I believe her prices range from around $2.50 - $4.00 per plant depending on the variety, but they're really large and sturdy.

BTW I planted my tomato seeds on 5 April and they were up on the 11th. Hope this fantastic spring weather we're getting here continues so that I can get the plants hardened off in my tiny greenhouse and into the warm soil sooner than last year.

~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Apr 14, 2012 7:59 am

Some of the blacks are a mahogany colour as opposed to the dark purply/red.
Taste wise, I would only compare a variety against another of the same colour. Every colour has a distinct range of flavours which are unique to the colour, so I don't think it would be fair to put a white up against a red, for instance. Just my opinion.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby MareE » Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am

Cropettes highlighted in magenta are those that didn't come to fruition in 2011. Therefore they will get most attention this growing season. 8)

2012 JOURNAL ROUGH.png
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Eeyore » Apr 14, 2012 11:22 am

Do you need more Scarlet Runner beans MareE?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 14, 2012 12:33 pm

OGrubber wrote:Some of the blacks are a mahogany colour as opposed to the dark purply/red.
Taste wise, I would only compare a variety against another of the same colour. Every colour has a distinct range of flavours which are unique to the colour, so I don't think it would be fair to put a white up against a red, for instance. Just my opinion.

Thanks much-ly for the clarification, Inge. In the interest of simplicity, I left out the whole range of blacks. I agree, there are vast differences in tomato colors and types...a person's not getting the full experience by just growing one variety year after year. Have you had any luck with Ananas Noir? I wanted to try that one.

MarE,
That is some organized list! (as opposed to the chicken-scratch on looseleaf that is mine) :oops:
I can't wait to see pictures of your "roof top" garden.

I bought some rattlesnake (pole) beans yesterday...add that to my grow list. I love green beans, so if this extends the season, all the better.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby MareE » Apr 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks kindly Lyn, but I'm good for Scarlet Runner seeds. Didn't mean to imply that yours weren't viable, y'ken The damn squirrels dug out your beans before they sprouted. argh Gotta admit they have a good eye/nose/cheeks for beautiful-est beans/seeds.

laff I'm a longhander myself, Donna. That list was c/p from a file I keep in case my spiral-bound garden journals go poof in, Dog forbid, a house fire. eeks

Picked up McKenzie Amethyst Purple Stringless Filet (bush) beans. I should only grow beans that require vertical interest climbing apparatus as I'm a little short on veggie garden real estate. But couldn't resist. ;o}

MareE

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening