Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: 2012 Vegetable & Varieties Grow List

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 14, 2012 2:40 pm

MarE,
I meant to ask...what are your thoughts on Alaska peas? Grew them one year and did not like them at all. Really short pods and not very productive or particularly tasty. I've had good luck with Green Arrow.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Apr 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Just returned with my carrot seeds.... and White Turnip and White Scalloped Squash.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby MareE » Apr 15, 2012 7:10 am

Well....The only reason I sow Spring peas is that they sproing out of the soil so quick and greenly, Donna! And I love the dainty white blossoms. Rarely have I enuff for one side dish out of the pickings. You're right, Alaskas aren't the best producers and the taste as I recall is nothing to write home about. I'll grow two 4-foot double rows again but buy Spring peas from the famers market. Again. ;o}

Lyn, how many days for Squash and Turnip to mature? Have you started seed indoors?
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby OGrubber » Apr 15, 2012 8:13 am

I'll report back on the Ananais Noire at the end of the season, Donna. I had one plant in a pot on my mostly shady deck [last year] - which produced a couple of toms which I butchered for seed. Conditions weren't normal, so I can't really comment on taste....

That's a great list MareE - I think your butternut squash run around 110 days.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Lyn,
Is that white patty pan squash classified as summer or winter squash? I only grew winter squash (butternut) once...it took over my entire garden and I got a single squash out of it! I only grow zucchini these days. I have seeds for the regular "black" variety, but I also bought the green striped one too...they were with the Italian-branded seeds.

Inge,
I did the same with some Black From Tula seeds last summer. I bought a plant near the end of the veggie buying season and nursed it along on my deck until I got a couple of ripe fruit. Surprisingly, the seeds were viable and the seedlings are among my most vigorous right now. As I recall, the taste and texture wasn't remarkable, I hope it was just due to growing conditions...Another question for you...what is the best way to put down the alfalfa pellets so that I don't attract animals to my garden? Should I be worried about that anyway?

MarE,
Some sort of Murphy's Law gave me the most abundant crop of green peas on the one year when I was pregnant, and the smell of cooked peas made me turn the same shade of green. I haven't had good luck with peas since. I bought some garden inoculant so that should help.
Last edited by DonnaZn2SK on Apr 15, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Apr 15, 2012 1:10 pm

MareE - Squash says 49 days and to start indoors 3-4 weeks ahead so I will start those at the beginning of May along with cukes and one punkin bought for Nanason #1.

Turnips are Early Snoball and claim 40-45 days, can be direct sown as soon as ground can be worked so theoretically I could plant now. I have enough to plant a 111' row. Want some? Could also send some Squash seed your way.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Great list of tomatoes! I never buy store-bought tomatoes and I sure can't wait to taste a home-grown one.....mmmm....

This year I am growing:

Brandywine tomatoes (heirloom)

An heirloom tomato my friend calls 'banana' tomato. Only about 10 seeds inside and the rest is tomato meat. Good stuff.

Rainbow Mix tomatoes.

Tumbling Toms which are growing in hanging containers. Three plants per container with some parsley growing between each plant.

Scarlett Runner Beans will be climbing up the wrought iron arch at the front of the house. There are 2 more arches leading to the patios in the backyard so Scarlet Runner Beans will climb up them too. We love the beans when they are young and the hummingbirds love the red flowers.

Lettuce, Mesclun Mix and Spinach is going gang-busters in the greenhouse. In a few weeks, I will be able to pick some....yay!

Yellow Bell Peppers and red Chil peppers need to be transplanted in their own individual containers.

Corriander (Cilantro) is doing well in the greenhouse. Other herbs like Thyme, Rosemary, Chives and Oregano are thriving.

Swiss Chard and snowpeas have popped up in the half-barrels on our deck. Luckily, they don't mind the frosty nights we have been having here lately.

The 2 patches of Garlic are growing at a fast rate.

Multiplying onions made it through the winter so it looks like we are going to have quite a few tasty treats real soon.

Something new this year is perpetual Spinach. This variety has HUGE leaves.

Asparagus is popping up.

I planted 2 different varieties of Blueberries. Sure hope the bunnies leave them alone.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » Apr 15, 2012 6:21 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:Brandywine tomatoes

This one seems popular with the people here. I seem to see this name a lot.

If you don't mind my asking, is your green house heated?
Dumbo

Postby styric » Apr 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I have been gifted leeks, broccoli, zucchini, Brandywine tomatoes downstairs.

The ones I have started from seed myself.. I've either collected the seed over past two years, been gifted, collected from friends or traded for:

Purslane
White Pattypan squash
flat leaf parsley
basil
Black Krim tomatoes
Purple Prince tomatoes
Sun Sugar tomatoes
Morelle de Balbis tomatoes (litchi)
Thyme cuttings

From Ukrainian seed with cyrillic names, given to me because they're supposed to be very early and prolific growers:
Peas
Radishes
Cucumber
Carrots
Dill

I can translate them if interested

I have seed ready to go outside:

Mixed red leaf lettuce
Spicy Italian mesclun
Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
Oriental mustard
Tyee hybrid spinach
Tendergreen improved bush beans
Chantenay Red Cored 2 carrots
Sugar snap peas

Smitty has been kind enough to offer me some peppers.

From the nursery, I'll probably pick up sage, tarragon, marjoram, catnip, some more thyme and asparagus if I manage to scrounge up the money

and I have two haskap on the way :D
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Dumbo wrote:
If you don't mind my asking, is your green house heated?

No, unfortunately, the greenhouse is not heated. I would like to have a solar panel to heat it but the $$$$ is not there.

During the really cold nights when there was frost, I covered everything up with old sheets and blankets. It was a real pain to do this every night and to remove them every morning, but so worth it.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening