Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Shade Garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Shade Garden

Postby 06Honda » Apr 11, 2012 10:49 am

This area gets total shade during the summer so growing grass is not going so well. Looking for some ideas to green this area up with plants; etc. The large tree roots are sucking up most of the water. I do have an inground sprinkler system so the plants will get enough water to thrive. Grass on the other hand is sparse in this area.
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5 B
http://paul-otoole.artistwebsites.com/

Paul
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5B
06Honda

Re: Shade Garden

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 12, 2012 8:07 am

Personally, I would widen the existing gardens using the rocks you have there so they would be up close to the tree to cover the sparse looking grass area. No need to dig out the grass.
To do this, put down a thick layer of newspapers to smother the grass, then add about 6" of good compost and rich soil. I say 6" because the soil will compact a bit when you water it. Then add around 3-4 inches of mulch to conserve moisture.

I have made many gardens this way with great results.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby belinda_mayer » Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Are you looking for plant ideas? If so, my shade favourites are ferns, native geraniums, foamflower, and astilbes.

Belinda
Ottawa
belinda_mayer

Postby Puff10 » Apr 15, 2012 2:52 pm

What about Hostas for your shaded gardens??? Also it might be diifficult to get anything to grow right underneath that tree ( if it's a maple tree)
Puff10

Postby Countryboy » Apr 16, 2012 8:43 am

It looks like u may want to plant the rise from the tree to the edge of the rocks.

Astilbe for colour, Hosta, Periwinkle, early Crocus, Hyacinth and Daffs may work. Also Lily of the Valley, Trillium and Toadlily.

Some of these will eventually spread to cover the whole area.

Best of luck!
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 22, 2012 9:30 am

cidlytom@hotmail.com wrote:Are you looking for plant ideas, that i think so .if you want more about the desibe about garden contact me freely .

OK some ornamentsfor it verry nice .

I saw below your avatar that you are from China? Wow! Welcome to Canadian Gardening.
We would love to see some pictures from your gardens in China. What is the weather like there right now?

Again, welcome !

CdnChelsea

Postby aaliasmith » Apr 26, 2012 7:26 am

06Honda wrote:Image

This area gets total shade during the summer so growing grass is not going so well. Looking for some ideas to green this area up with plants; etc. The large tree roots are sucking up most of the water. I do have an inground sprinkler system so the plants will get enough water to thrive. Grass on the other hand is sparse in this area.
Kingston, Ontario
Zone 5 B

I read you post , for the proper growth of grass you can situate sprinklers in the specific area , or you can make a new place for the special grass so that it can grow healthy.
aaliasmith

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am

Psst, CdnChelsea...

Normally anything "cidly" = spam.

Cidly has been working this forum for a couple of years that I have been able to determine.

Example "Cidly" spam that Kelly/Eeyore never caught onto:
search.php?keywords=cidly&fid[0]=10&sid=9015ddf615b8c555599406fcfc2b0ddf

...and there is more "cidly" spam they never noticed.

Cidly is actually a Chinese led light knock-off company spamming every garden or lighting forum in existence.

Anything "Cidly" is spam. Though I have actually seen a "cidly" spammer work an unsuspecting forum to sell their knock-offs.

So now you know. Now Kelly/Eeyore knows too!

The mods here should use a wild card ban for this one: *cidly*, if possible.

Also, don't email that spam house. I see they left their Email address this time.

EDIT:
The link doesn't come out good for some reason, but it will show a search result for at least one other "cidly" spam. And there is more...
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » Apr 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, duh......sucked in again....... :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up, Dumbo. I was wondering why someone in China would be interested in a Canadian gardening site.

CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Now you owe me a rock garden to make us even.
:)
Dumbo

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas