Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

Metal Halide Grow Light. Anyone here using this?

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

Metal Halide Grow Light. Anyone here using this?

Postby Dumbo » May 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Are there any people out there in this forum using a metal halide grow light?

If so, what wattage are you using? ~400W or 1000W?

Looking for your hands-on experience with these, such as:
Heat generated, Is it a problem for you?

How the plants are looking compared to florescent 3" off the plants?

Type of socket you are using. Example: does it require a ballast? Or, for example, can you put a ~400W in any old socket that will take that amount of juice and heat such as a ceramic socket?

I read that 1000W is good for 8 square feet. Does your experience confirm this? How about ~400W?

Any experience with the different brands being marketed?

Any info and your general hands-on experience (plusses or annoyances, positives and negatives) welcome.
Dumbo

Re: Metal Halide Grow Light. Anyone here using this?

Postby davefrombc » May 02, 2012 7:24 pm

I don't use them Marc, but know a bit about them .. They require a ballast and special socket. They do not screw into a regular lamp socket .... and they produce a LOT of heat. That's why grow ops require all the fans and ventilation they use ..Metal halide lamps for marine aquariums need a good fan to cool the lamp and keep heat away from the tank. The lamps are different shape , but the same heat problems and ballast needs exist.
You gotta be growing something worth the expense to use a high wattage MH lamp 12 - 14 hours a day... With a 1000w lamp , you're looking at 12 -14 KWH per day. Times that by the rate you pay Hydro to see what it'll cost you per month .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Some people here, as shown in their pics, already run 480-watts as is (6 shop lights: 12x40W T12's), so yeah, it doubles the cost.

But, for myself, I was more focused on the 400W (or is it 450W) metal halides.

So, since the 1000W is more likely popular and easier to find, I wanted to know peoples experience with it.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » May 03, 2012 1:50 am

A quick search shows the following:

400W = 60 to 70$

Ballast 400W roughly $120 to $200, 120V. Not sure of the differences in them to justify the price range. Seems to be a 5 year guarantee.

Total ~200 +/-

Takes a ceramic socket.

Parabolic dome (the basic): 20$

Now to find out someones experience with the heat on these 400watt ones and distance from plants and other perks or annoyances.

Best guess would be a ~4-ft^2 area (assuming wattage versus surface area is linear).
Dumbo

Postby Countryboy » May 03, 2012 8:59 am

Dumbo wrote:So, since the 1000W is more likely popular and easier to find, I wanted to know peoples experience with it.

U might think so, but the opposite is true. The 400W is more common, simply for ease of use. And like Dave says, the heat build-up from a 1000W is enuf to grow yr lettuce AND heat yr house too!

We have a local utility contractor, engaged by municipalities to replace street lites. The old *still working* stuff gets hauled off to his large barn and sold to the public. U can pick up a used 250W HPS street lite for $50. A couple of them would be great for getting u thru the Winter.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » May 03, 2012 10:01 am

I haven't read good things about Sodium Vapour lights. As they age they also get dimmer and yellower. This is likely what is being sold. Don't know though...
Dumbo

Return to Indoor Plants