Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Bags of Soil on sale,,,again

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Bags of Soil on sale,,,again

Postby Lulu » Apr 26, 2012 12:55 pm

H.D, will have their 25L bags on sale, Saturday am only,,for .98c.

Lowes is offering 20L bags for the same price, same day.

Both have 10 bag limits, but allow you to make two transactions; get there very early,,it's generally gone shortly after 8 am.

Wallyworld's regular price is $1. for a 20 L bag; no limit, lots of stock, anytime.

I'm waiting for the cow/sheep manure to go on sale!
Lulu

Re: Bags of Soil on sale,,,again

Postby Dumbo » Apr 26, 2012 1:02 pm

87-cents here.

Why is your C.T. 10-cents more?

EDIT:
Whooops you said H.D....
You may want to look at Canadian Tire. 87-cents here.
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » Apr 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Great, thanks for the heads up,,will check out our two CT stores!

It's not listed in the flyer, so, might be an instore special, although, I seem to remember this happened last year, where the "down south" stores had it on sale, while the northern stores didn't.
Lulu

Postby Heidi S » Apr 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Sadly, here in BC the HD soil price is $1.48/20 l. Don't know why - even my store manager was wondering about it....

May be it had to be shipped too far? Who knows - However, that was still a better price than I found elsewhere, and I bout 20 bags for my veggie bed renovations ongoing...
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lulu » Apr 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Heidi,,the $1.48 was the price I saw on the online flyer, but, when I got to my HD, it was .98c.

I kow the manager, personally, at one of our Canadian Tire stores, so, asked why they didn't have any sales on the black earth; he says the prices that HD & Lowes are selling it for, is less than his cost?

Well, I got 50 bags, but gave 5 to my sister in law, so, that should be enough for this year. Now, if I can find the bags of manure on sale!

It's the only way I can get soil into my yard, so, whatever works, right!
Lulu

Postby Heidi S » Apr 30, 2012 1:21 am

Yeah, I was by the store yesterday (in the pouring rain at that) and grabbed some bags, but sadly, I had to pay the $1.48 per. All of BC did. but being that I am doubling the depth of my raised veggie beds, needs must!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby Heidi S » May 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Dear Lord, I need more bags of Soil!

Those newly raised beds are hungry! The 25 I had haven't completely filled the new layer I added to each, and the 3rd bed hasn't had any yet. And I managed to get 4 wheelbarrows of sieved compost out of the last bin and used it too.

So, another trip to fill the car up to the gunnels is in order.....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » May 02, 2012 10:26 pm

If you have a vehicle to haul it , and a couple of good totes, you can get sand at the sand banks , and there's lots of good rich swamp soil around PG you can dig .. mix them and you'll have some pretty good soil without making CT richer.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lulu » May 03, 2012 7:28 am

Our municipal dump makes and sells compost; it's something like $20. per tonne; a half ton truck load cost me under $10.

While it's really good for flower beds, I would be hesitant to use it on veggie beds; there's no way of knowing what went into it.

Heidi, do you have a Walmart there? Their regular price for 20 L is $1.00,,at least here it is! If you have a Rona, they generally have great sales on Triple Mix,,something like 50L for $4.99., but they don't advertise it,,you just have to keep checking.
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 10:06 am

My soil is coming Saturday. I decided to get 3 cubic yards. That's similar to about 115 20L bags. Decided to get it delivered for an extra 30$. Cost 118$ with delivery.

Bet I'll be short on it like you.
Dumbo

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas