Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Sodding lawn

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Sodding lawn

Postby Baptiste » May 03, 2012 9:05 am

My lawn has been completely 'invaded' by what I call ground violets. I plan to have it resodded I've been told the roots of these plants grow very deep and am concerned the violets will reappear once again and take over the new grass. Any advice?
Baptiste

Re: Sodding lawn

Postby Eeyore » May 03, 2012 10:56 am

I'm not sure it will work but you could try stripping the sod and then spreading black plastic and leaving it down for the summer and resod in the fall or next spring. The black plastic should produce enough heat to kill off weed seeds and roots.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Sodding lawn

Postby Dumbo » May 03, 2012 3:54 pm

This is the first year I get this. I have exactly one.

Guy next door to me has a few.

I figured it looked cute and left it. But I think the guy next door pulled it out on me... he does that at times.

As for getting rid of them? No clue. 1st time I see it, and never heard of it being a huge issue.

Scott (the grass company) fields questions on the phone. They will know what to do, but it will be a chemical that they will push on you. No different than you using a chem to kill off the current lawn I suppose.

I would call them and ask. First time I hear of this, to this extent.

Scotts Help Center
experts are available
toll-free at 1-888-270-3714.

Call. Let u know what they tell you. It has my curiosity.
Dumbo

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas