Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Bags of Soil on sale,,,again

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Re: Bags of Soil on sale,,,again

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I added one more cubic yard to the order and they just dropped it off. So 4 total.

Smells like horse poop.

They charged me only 17$ for the last cubic yard. I asked why so cheap. They said the more you order the cheaper it becomes. *shrug*.

Lulu, if you haven't filled one up completely yet (or more) you may be better off just shopping around for a place that has garden soil to deliver for you. Or find a friend with a trailer. It's less expensive than even 1$ bags.
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » May 04, 2012 6:48 pm

You're right, Mark, I'd be way better off getting a truck or trailer load; problem is, my driveway is lockstone, and it would have to be dumped (on a tarp) in the driveway, and would stay there till I got it all moved, via wheelbarrow! Did that the first year year,,here, and it took all summer. Still working full time, and have no help, unless I hire a kid, who doesn't mind hard work.

Makes me crazy, buying the bags, when there's a local company that sells the most amazing stuff that they call "triple mix", for maybe $20. to $30 for a half ton load,,they load it, but don't deliver it.

So,,I pick my battles, and buy around 50 bags of the black earth and 20 of the manure, every year.
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Same here, I have it dumped on two tarps. Even with the tarps it's a mess.

That's what I was going to suggest to you, a couple of kids who want to make a few dollars.

EDIT:
Even with 4 cubic yards, just by eyeballing it it seems I'm 2 or 3 yards short. :/
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » May 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Mark, I hire kids every summer, and pay them well, treat them well, and am not a hard task master, because I so appreciate the help.

With three exceptions, many of them do not know how to work hard and have no stamina; so, they usually wimp out around noon, while the old lady, here, is still going strong!

Had two amazing 18 year old kids last year; the first one, left to go into the army. The other, was so good,,hubby hired him to work at the gas station. He only stayed there, till he got on with Hydro.

For my son's garden wedding, I hired an older guy,, 50 something, who was the most amazing worker, ever. He was on a disability pension, for mental problems, and a severe alcoholic, but did odd jobs for a lot of the people on the street. He generally only lasted from 8 am to noon, and 12 cups of coffee,then he would ask for his money and was gone, with no promise of returning. He'd show up again, when he was broke, and the cycle was repeated. Occasionally, he'd ask me to buy him some cigarettes or go get him a case of beer, or a ride home, and, I'd oblige,,just to keep him coming back. Sad, because he had a real love of gardening and appreciation of plants and was good at fixing anything he tried.

Edited to add; Mark, I am not making any "new" gardens, just topping up all of the 25 or so, "old" gardens with the bags of soil & manure. Oh,,and filling in holes the pups dig around the yard!
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 10:15 pm

Retired people do the best. They take their time, know how to pace themselves and get the job done A-1.

Last year I decided to hire a few 12 year olds. I called up their parents and asked if they could help me paint a fence. 1 boy and two girls. Parents were happy to get rid of them and teach them what work is.

They got here at 8-am sharp. 30-minutes early because they wanted me to make them pancakes before starting.

I brought all the paint out, mixed it, put up a scaffold (since they are short) and prep'd it all.

When the time came, they decided they were hungry for popcorn. So I made them popcorn.

After the popcorn, around 10-am, we hit the paint. I had them do all the bottom of the fence while my neighbor and I did the mid section to the top. One kid was on the scaffold doing the very top railing.

At noon I asked if they were hungry and gave them 10$ each. They took off to a restaurant for poutine and were back exactly 1 hr later and demanded to work for 2 more hours.

But! they got the job done. I gave them 10$ more each and 10$ to share for candy then had to drive them to the movies. heh

Me and the neighbour did the second coat ourselves.

So yeah, with kids it's a bit awkward, but it works if we follow kid time and kid hunger.

If they were a tad older 13 or 14 I'm sure they would be better. But child labour is child labour. ;)

Actually, I'm going to see if I can get a kid for tomorrow afternoon after I finished roto-tilling to help me move that earth. I need an extra shoveler since I'm sure I'll be burnt before I clear out half that pile.

Yeah sure I overpaid, but it was fun seeing them at their first job. and asking what they expect for their work.
Dumbo

Postby mike in Ottawa » May 06, 2012 10:26 am

I can beat all of you, received a flyer from a local company called Manotick gardens, on the flyer it said bring this flyer in and receive 6 FREE 25l bags of black soil, so i did got my 6 free bags of soil and 3 6 packs of petunias, think i have figured out their trick :wink:
mike in Ottawa

Postby Lulu » May 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Wow, FREE is good! You've got us all beat! Good going!
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Nice score!
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » May 06, 2012 4:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you see more specials like that during the summer.

From what I read this is the hottest year in gardening.

The last couple of years the big money was all in home-reno's due to the tax breaks. This year they stated that landscaping and gardening is the biggest money maker now since the reno tax credit ended.

So it makes sense to lure people in considering all the competition.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » May 09, 2012 2:23 pm

87-cents at C.T. again this weekend (unkown bag size)
72-cents at Reno-Depot, 25L bags.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas