Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Plant suggestions

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Plant suggestions

Postby Happy mom to 3 » May 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I have an L shaped garden in my front yard. It is 11 feet long up the side of the driveway and 8 feet long across the front of my house. It is not against the house. There is about 6 feet of interlocking brick between the garden and my front porch. The entire garden is about 3 feet wide. It is outlined with one layer of garden bricks. I have no idea what to put in it. I have tried to redo this garden twice but it just doesn't look right. I plan on removing what is in there now and start fresh. Help! I need ideas. I love to garden but unfortunately I'm not very good at it. The pictue I have attached is looking at the garden from the sidewalk.
Attachments
004.JPG
Happy mom to 3

Re: Plant suggestions

Postby Laura » May 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Hello Happymom and welcome to the site.What zone are you in ? ... it will help with the plant suggestions.
Laura

Postby Happy mom to 3 » May 05, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm in Courtice, Ontario. Zone 5b.
Happy mom to 3

Postby B_BQ » May 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi:
I'm just down the road in Belleville!
I think you need some height close to the house. So many things to choose from. Annabelle Hydrangea, Pee Gee Hydrangea, Japanese Maple, Evergreen of some sort. Can't make out what the plant covered in blossoms is, but it is certainy worth keeping. Can you move it closer to the sidewalk?
Looking forward to suggestions from others.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Clyde212 » May 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Hello,
I agree with BBQ... some height would be great and the red of a Japanese Maple would be gorgeous all summer long. I would add a daylily ( then again, I am biased a wee bit) or 2 as they are easy to care for. An iris for some early bloom.
Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas