Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomatoes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Tomatoes

Postby Lulu » May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Up to their armpits here too,,but always throw in a handful of either bonemeal or epsom salts in the hole first!
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I think I would use Epsom only if I had an issue the previous year. From what I understand (in regards to epsom and plants) you add it only if your soil is low on the micro-nutrients in order to replenish the magnesium only.

I read that for tomatoes, calcium is one of the more important micro-nutrients. So with my limited amount of knowledge, bone meal would be the better bet I would think.

This may be the type of thing right up OGrubbers alley since I think these magnesium and calcium salts are used in the organic industry.

Should I add bone meal to newly arrived triple mix? Would you? How much? This stuff harsh on plants or seedlings?
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » May 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Made the mistake of using bonemeal in my gardens when we had a dog.

Dang dog could smell the bonemeal so he dug up all my gardens looking for the bone.

:roll:

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 8:43 pm

lol
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » May 04, 2012 9:13 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:
Made the mistake of using bonemeal in my gardens when we had a dog.

Dang dog could smell the bonemeal so he dug up all my gardens looking for the bone.

Was it bonemeal or blood meal, CdnChelsea? My old dogs would dig up everything and anything I'd used bloodmeal on, but were ok with the bonemeal.

Mark, I wouldn't add the bonemeal to the triple mix,,just throw a small handful into the holes, before planting the tomatoes. And, no, it's not harsh on the plants or roots.
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 04, 2012 9:39 pm

I'll toss in half-a-handful since my hands are likely double your hand size to play it safe.

TY for the tip! :)
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » May 05, 2012 1:59 pm

Man, I am burnt.

Pulled up the grass where the new garden is
Rented a rototiller
Rototilled (that was an arm and a lung killer)
Added mushroom compost to the old soil there to break it up
Rototilled again to work it in
Dumped only about 1 or 1.5 yards of soil on it
Brought back rototiller

3 more yards of soil to go.

My wife said I could have a 20-minute break, but only if I make her lunch.

Back to the salt mines...

How's your day going?
Dumbo

Postby CdnChelsea » May 05, 2012 10:35 pm

You poor dear.......

Dude.....you really have to start some raised gardens. After stacking the rocks, filling the area with soil, they are pretty easy to look after. Just think, no grass creeping into the raised gardens, the soil in a raised bed gets thawed out faster in the spring allowing your plants to bloom earlier plus weeds are easier to pick out since you don't have to bend over as far and your plants look bigger in height thanks to the raised garden.

We bought another dump truck load of rocks last week to build more gardens.
The rock is called "shot rock". Cost was $150. delivered.

We expanded one garden with the rock and tomorrow we are building another garden.

Like I need more gardens...........ahahahahaha.......

CdnChelsea

Postby CdnChelsea » May 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Dumbo...

I was at a gardening show today and luckily ran into some Master Gardeners who were so helpful and enthusiastic. They gave me some information on how to become a Master Gardener. When I came home I started perusing the website.

I thought you might be interested in reading their newsletter since you are inquiring about soil....the backbone of good gardens.

Here is their website:

http://www.mgoi.ca/

CdnChelsea

Postby Dumbo » May 06, 2012 2:29 am

Yeah I have enough earth to have it raised. think it's already about 7-8 inches above the grass. But that will likely compact down in a week.

I wasn't able to finish the last yard/yard and a half of soil. To burnt. Will finish that up when the sun comes up.

"Shot Rock", eh? I have to go back to the landscaping store I bought the earth from tomorrow so I'll ask about that. I get the feeling that might be a term used that the french landscapers there may not know. But we will see. I may get lucky. If not then I'll just pick up some wood. I seem to recall a pile of flat like rocks when I was last there.

I think I fell asleep at 7 last night, why am I up ant 2-am? uhg.

You know what's weird? After I dumped my last load of soil in that area, a bunch of bee's went to it. I was sitting down having a coffee looking at it and for some reason a swarm of bee's went after the new soil. The soil has a bunch of what looks like fungus gnats (but big ones). Wonder if they were going for them? Was strange to see.

TY for the link. Will grab a coffee and check it out.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening