Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Growing Peppers

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Growing Peppers

Postby adam3307 » May 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I have two types of peppers (cayenne and bell) with two possible locations for them but I don't know which is best. One is against the fence which gets sun from sunrise until 3:30 - 4, but the soil isn't great and is vulnerable to rabbits and squirrels. The other spot is at the back of the house where the soil is much better and can be placed within a chicken wire fence for protection. This spot seems better but it doesn't get sun until around 1:30 (which lasts until sunset) and I heard peppers need 8-10 hrs which it would not get there. Can anyone help me with where to place them. I dont know whether to be more concerned with animals or just 6 hrs of sun. Thanks.
adam3307

Re: Growing Peppers

Postby B_BQ » May 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Peppers love sun. The more the better. I've had success with container grown peppers.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » May 06, 2012 2:39 am

I've never had squirrels go after my peppers. But for some reason I have seen some of the squirrels go after a tomato. Not the plant, but just a tomato. They take a little bite out of it and then leave it, or carry it off with them.

I read some place that squirrels may do this to quench their thirst. Not sure how true this is though. But sounds reasonable. They say to leave a bowl of water for them and they will leave your tomatoes alone. Again, I don't know how true this is.

Never had a squirrel attack a pepper plant.

I also had a gopher who ate the broccoli, carrot tops, the beans plants and lettuce. Lost those plants one year. Had to fence in the garden after that. It never touched the pepper plants though.

I never had a rabbit problem. So can't help there. Only thing I could say is to get some chicken wire and fence it off. This is likely the lowest cost route to go. A wooden stake in each corner and wrap the chicken wire around it (put the chicken wire a few inches in the ground and bent outwards).

I would put the peppers where they get the most sun. Against the fence.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I like Brenda's idea Adam. Put the peppers in planters and place them where they'll get lots of sun. I've never heard of squirrels going after peppers so I think they'll be safe.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 06, 2012 9:52 pm

I second, no wait third, the motion for containers. A container will allow you to move it to the perfect sunny spot. I recently got my hands on a motherlode of 20L food grade buckets from a Costco and just this afternoon I potted up a dozen or so of them with various pepper varieties.

Also, grow them far apart if you plan to seed save. But then again if your sunny situation is limited I guess that might not be an option.

Best of luck!
Adam
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Smitty » May 08, 2012 10:04 am

my pepper patch is on the south/west side of my house...no sun til afternoon and i've never had a problem with producing fruit.

pots are a good idea too....just don't forget to water lots
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby evepet » May 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Hello everyone. Haven't been around in a while... not sure you'll remember me. I'm trying my hand at container vegetable gardening again this year, and one of the 'crops' is peppers. I have some jalapeno seedlings and some sweet pepper seedlings. All are doing well. I planted them all last weekend, but I'm pretty sure I've crowded them... my containers are about 10" diameter and about 10" in depth - right now I've got 2 seedlings in each, but I've a very strong suspicion I should only have one in that size of a container. If someone would confirm that for me I'd appreciate it. Not sure what I'll do with the extra plants, but I think none of them will thrive this way?
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby davefrombc » May 25, 2012 7:31 pm

I'd look for some more pots, or plastic buckets and go for one plant per on your 10" ones. 10" pots are even a bit on the small side for some of the bell and hot pepper varieties. 1 gallon ( 4 liter) ice cream buckets will make decent pots for them if you can't find some other suitable plant pots. Be sure to put a couple of drain holes in the bottoms .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby evepet » May 25, 2012 7:34 pm

davefrombc wrote:I'd look for some more pots, or plastic buckets and go for one plant per on your 10" ones. 10" pots are even a bit on the small side for some of the bell and hot pepper varieties. 1 gallon ( 4 liter) ice cream buckets will make decent pots for them if you can't find some other suitable plant pots. Be sure to put a couple of drain holes in the bottoms .

Ok - thanks Dave.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby Dumbo » May 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Agreed. At that diameter you are good for 1 pepper plant.

I bought very cheap black plastic pots for 1.25$ (16-inch) at a local nursery to dump my extra pepper plants in. Can't get cheaper than that...
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening