Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Haskaps, Saskatoons, Dwarf Sour Cherries in Ontario?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Haskaps, Saskatoons, Dwarf Sour Cherries in Ontario?

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 06, 2012 10:23 pm

So I guess these are all very hardy and successful staples in the prairies, but does anyone know where I might get my hands on these in Ontario? I've never seen any of them at any local Hamilton area nursery. A Google search found me a place to order online called Prairie Plant Systems Inc but their website freaks me out because it's some sort of bio-pharmaceutical company (they are a licensed medicinal marijuana grower) and not really a nursery like most of us are probably used to when ordering plants lol. I feel like I'm gonna get nailed on shipping from this place because it looks like a commercial setup.

Anyways, if they've got the fruit plants I'm looking for then perfect. Any of you grow Haskaps, Saskatoon Berries or Dwarf Sour Cherry? Here is their order form:
http://www.prairieplant.com/documents/2 ... Form-4.pdf
What varieties of the Haskap should I be looking for in a backyard garden setting?

Looking for some guidance~

Cheers,
Adam
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Re: Haskaps, Saskatoons, Dwarf Sour Cherries in Ontario?

Postby Dumbo » May 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I've seen the Saskatoons some place Can't seem to find it now.

Might have been from one of the sites mentioned here:
http://www.canadiangardening.com/how-to ... ues/a/2493
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » May 06, 2012 11:44 pm

I bought one haskap plant last weekend at a nursery about 30 miles from here. Never saw or heard of them before, and, wanted to ask, the owner, if one is enough, or do I need at least one more to pollinate it,,but,,was so exited about my new purchases, that I left, without asking!

I will look at the tag tomorrow and see what the "variety" is, and if there's a name of the producer where she orders from.

I have one sour cherry tree-Montemoresy (sp?); will check that tag out tomorrow as well! Got it at at the greenhouse in Barrie,,either Bradford or Botanix,, I think???
Lulu

Postby Countryboy » May 07, 2012 7:38 am

In Southern Ontario u can easily grow Dwarf Sweet Cherry trees, if u like. I have a self-pollinator called Tehranivee that's been producing well for the last few years.

I'm abt an hour North of u and picked it up at the local Canadian Tire.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Lulu » May 07, 2012 8:17 am

Ok, looks like my haskap is a "borealis"; no clue as to which nursery it came from? Doesn't say it needs a second plant, either.

Oh, and the sour cherry is Montmorency and it's listed as "tart", not sour.
Attachments
HASKAP (Honeyberry).JPG
Lulu

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2012 10:21 am

Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 07, 2012 11:24 am

Hmm, your Haskap is also referred to as "Honeyberry", maybe I'll have more luck searching for that around here. Maybe we call them something different in Ontario, unlike those odd prairie folk ~ :twisted:
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Lulu » May 07, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks, Lyn; good website,,but,,looks like they are sold out on a lot of them.

Just called the nursery,,they do have another variety, but, they weren't sure which one. Problem is the nursery is 30 miles away, in a direction I never travel,,so,,have arranged for someone to pick it up for me.

Good thing for this post,,and not so good I didn't remember to ask while I was there!

Adam, I think I did see this plant, last year, at my local Independant Grocers black top nursery, and thought I'd pick it up later; later never happened.
Lulu

Postby davefrombc » May 07, 2012 12:46 pm

The two best pollinators for the Borealis are the Cinderella and the new Honeybee.
I've been doing some reading up on them and plan to look for some to try myself.. There is one grower here serving the wholesale market has Borealis, but doesn't mention the others; and I see there's a couple of nursery chains here have some in.
They look like an interesting berry to try .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lulu » May 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Well, I got another one, at Lowes; this one is Honeyberry Opal; my other choice was, Svetlana; not sure whether either of them will be a match to pollinate; I will research it, later, if not, it's going back, and I'll still get the original match from the nursery where I got the first one.
Lulu

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening