Container Gardening - Gardening Forums

Woodlice in container - help!

For inspiration and advice about gardening in pots and planters, gardening indoors and outdoors, from balconies to terraces, and everything in between.

Woodlice in container - help!

Postby snow00774 » May 03, 2012 12:24 pm

I have several containers that I used with success last year and this year I was just going to break up and reuse the soil I used last year, with some feed etc.

One of my containers is one of a pair of wooden planters. When I went out last night to break up the soil, one has a bunch of woodlice running around in it and the other has none. Can I evict them somehow and still reuse the soil or do I have to dump it and get fresh stuff?

Thanks!
snow00774

Re: Woodlice in container - help!

Postby Dumbo » May 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Just get new soil. This is the easiest and fastest route. That is, if these bugs gross you out. Or hand pick them out.

Besides these things don't do damage to anything.

Since these things like moist places, like flower boxes, they will just return anyhow.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » May 03, 2012 3:48 pm

They are disgusting and I have them everywhere! We made the mistake of putting bark mulch down a few years ago and they love it! I find them in my planters too, usually under the bricks I put in the bottom to raise the plants up. I'm with Marc, buy new soil. That isn't going to stop them from getting back into the planters but it lessens the gross-out factor of having those creepy crawlies scooting around while you are doing your potting up.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » May 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Maybe try a little talcum to discourage them . If it works for the grubs, it may work for the woodlice. If it does work , be sure to let the forum know .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby snow00774 » May 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks all!!! While not fun for you it's nice to know I'm not the only grossed out by them!! This damp weather is like heaven for them. Keep finding them scooting around my basement too - the joys of a 106 yr old house with an unfinished basement. Ick!!

If they're just going to get back in I'll try the same soil...I've already broken it up etc.
really thick gloves will be broken out for this job...and I will try and report back on the talcum. Good to know it works on grubs too!
snow00774

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Don't know where you are located, but around here, the dem boogers are a way of life. Their job is to eat old wood, make it into soil. and call them wood lice or those awful things, I have them everywhere outside (house built in 1915 here on the Wet Coast).

Every time I pick up the wild bird watering pottery dish on an old board in the apple tree crotch, the bottom is simply crawling...and it gives me the heebie jeebies too....nature's little composting critters, but GAK!

Don't tell anybody, but when I am bringing my houseplants in in late September, they get a soaking in Dia-something, and well rinseed before they come in. I don't have them in the house, thank you Dawg.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Container Gardening