Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Haskaps, Saskatoons, Dwarf Sour Cherries in Ontario?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Haskaps, Saskatoons, Dwarf Sour Cherries in Ontario?

Postby Lulu » May 21, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks for the info, Dan. Was hoping to find Berry Blue or Honeybear, but seems hardly no one is carrying them at all, other than Lowes. Haven't checked Azilda out yet, might get out there today.
Lulu

Postby orchidguy » May 21, 2012 11:54 am

Eeyore wrote:You are harvesting already? Ours are just flowering now.

Usually harvest is mid to late May here (except some NOID Russian ones,which are always a week or so later) but this year there was early bloom and early fruit set. As I've stated before, this has been a very odd year thus far for blooms. The blueberries are in full bloom here now, and yet some of the tulips haven't even opened as yet. The black and red currants were blooming at the beginning of April, and all the flowering crabs have been in bloom for almost 3 weeks now, which is not their normal bloom time either. Not sure what is going on here this year.

Had/have bloom on only about 8 azaleas (which were early) and looks like only 2 rhodo's will bloom this year. Even the rhubarb has produced seed heads already. No wisteria buds, and all the magnolias budded beautifully, but blooms were all damaged due to a snap of very cold weather. Lilacs buds are opened on about 14 shrubs/trees (non french) but all the other villosa types have not produced even buds this year

[quote="Lulu"] Was hoping to find Berry Blue or Honeybear, but seems hardly no one is carrying them at all, other than Lowes.[/quote

Linda, I hate to say this, but haven't purchased any of these locally. I would love to, but I just find ordering online a lot less time consuming (except for my end of season road trip of course)
orchidguy

Postby auroran » May 22, 2012 11:45 am

I saw Haskaps at a Rona Garden center last weekend.
auroran

Postby Lulu » May 22, 2012 2:36 pm

Found the motherload @ Independant Grocers, south end, today, about 5 different varieties,,but, @ $19.99 each,,think I'll wait till end of season!
Lulu

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening