Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Doing a veggie trial this year.

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Doing a veggie trial this year.

Postby Heidi S » May 20, 2012 11:00 am

Our local master gardeners' group is hosting a veggie trial this year. I picked up 2 yellow beet seed packs from the group, and planted them on Friday night. Now to water, fertilize, weed and wait. And record my efforts and results, of course1

My son, a lover of red beets, said, yellow beets - no Mom, say it isn't so. Didn't you plant any red ones? Yes, I did 2 rows of them too. I am also trying the new hybrid carrot 'resistafly', and put in a row of russian red kale.

I have broccoli and cauliflower starts in the greenhouse, but am not ready to put them in the soil outside yet. I did get the potatoes in, some radish, spinach, arugula, lettuce and pak choi seeded about 10 days ago, and they are just beginning to pop. We have warm days, and then frightfully cold ones, like last Friday which warmed to 7 degrees after snow, hail and rain all morning.

The new bed height is working nicely for me. Doubling the height has made the bending over more comfortable. As well, after doing a soil test kit, I have added lots of compost, manure and some homemade fert (based on Steve Solomon's recipe) to tone up the nutients. I was very low on Nitrogen and Potash, but good on Phosporus.
PH was neutral.

I am hoping for a healthier crop and more of it this year, with the amendments and attention I have paid to my veggie/fruit area.

The first asparagus noses poked up this weekend! Yeah, I adore asparagus!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Doing a veggie trial this year.

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 20, 2012 11:14 am

I grew golden beets one year. They were very sweet...unfortunately the critters liked them too...I had a hard time finding one that wasn't chewed before I got to it.

Heidi.
Where did you buy seeds for red Russian kale? I could only find Redbor locally. Did you order it? I'm also looking for dino kale.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Heidi S » May 20, 2012 8:49 pm

Sorry Donna, the kale was a freebie at seedy Saturday in February. I have never grown kale before, so all new to me.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby orchidguy » May 21, 2012 11:58 am

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Where did you buy seeds for red Russian kale? I could only find Redbor locally. Did you order it? I'm also looking for dino kale.

You can order seed from both from Hudson Valley Seed Library, and they ship to Canada
orchidguy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 21, 2012 5:51 pm

orchidguy wrote:
DonnaZn2SK wrote:Where did you buy seeds for red Russian kale? I could only find Redbor locally. Did you order it? I'm also looking for dino kale.

You can order seed from both from Hudson Valley Seed Library, and they ship to Canada

Thanks for the link, Dan.

I try to buy locally when possible. I've taken the online plant and seeds ordering with baby steps...bought some tomato seeds from a place in Ontario this year...
DonnaZn2SK

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening