Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomatoes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Tomatoes

Postby Dumbo » May 07, 2012 7:14 pm

lol

Have to admit, I look at your pictures and wish I had all that. BUT... I wouldn't want to clean up the mess I made with all that either ;)
Dumbo

Postby Lulu » May 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Mark, the pictures show not quite 1/6 of my one acre yard!

What would be really exhausting is Dan's (Orchidguy) property,,it's lots and lots of acres, and quite a bit of it is developed/planted! It'd take me years, to get it all done.

I don't want to clean up the mess either!
Lulu

Postby Dumbo » May 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Well thanks for sharing that tiny bit with us then. I certainly never would have thought of using patio stones as a raised bed.

If you were near me, I'd offer you my 2 dozen patio stones so you could build two or three more of those raised gardens. lol

From the sounds of it, Dan must have something really nice.
Dumbo

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 22, 2012 11:59 pm

I never worry about planting my tomatoes that deep. As long as I have the heaping tablespoon of crushed egg shell in the bottom of the hole and they are sturdy once planted I'm good to go. I also always always always have a gallon black pot that perennials come in, with the bottom sawed off placed around each of my tomato plants. The bottomless pots stay pushed into the soil all summer until I harvest my tomatoes. I water them every 4 days by filling the pushed in pot (around the tomato) with water. Pick a few weeds and voila, I pick lots of tomatoes in the fall. I don't pinch suckers or anything like that and I have lots of fruit by the end of the season!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Dumbo » Jun 02, 2012 12:42 am

Figured i'd add to this....

I planted the tomatoes as suggested (since they were over 3 feet high). Buried them deep or on their side.

They have since thickened up quite nicely, but I find the leafs/branches droopy. Maybe too much water? Anything else would cause this?

A couple of them kind of snapped when laying them on their side and bending it 90-degrees (trenching). But they seem to have still taken. Not sure how they will fruit later...

Haven't added any fertilizer at all. If I do what would you suggest? The standard 20-20-20?

Also I have another question... as was stated in this topic; burying deep, or trenching, will cause new roots along the buried stem. Will adding fertilizer after about 3 weeks of being planted burn these new roots? If so (or if you think so) after how much time would you wait till you added some fertilizer? Starting to get flowers on some, not all. About 25% have flowers.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Jun 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Marc:
I would think that half strength soluble tomato fertilizer would be fine after 3 weeks.
I feed my toms Miracle Gro/Tomato Fertilizer about every 3 weeks, which reminds me.....!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Jun 02, 2012 1:16 pm

okie-dokey. I'll try that. :)
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening