Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

oxygenated water really good for plants?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

oxygenated water really good for plants?

Postby copperbeech » May 24, 2012 1:58 pm

I saw this for the first time this past week as a TV commercial.

http://purerain.com/

Just wondering if any of you green 'thumbers' have made such an investment?
copperbeech

Re: oxygenated water really good for plants?

Postby davefrombc » May 24, 2012 2:54 pm

LOL. Another gimmick to make your wallet lighter. That is about all it will do.. It is a "snake oil" attachment for your hose.. Think about it .... All it's doing is agitating the water in a chamber with trapped air( a very small amount of trapped air ) and then sending it out in a droplet " rain" spray .. A regular spray nozzle that makes the same water pattern will " oxygenate" the water just as much as that gismo.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Umm... oxygenated water?

That link is pure horse-dodo. 100% pure horse-crap.

Since the address given is in Ontario, you should even write the Canadian Competition Bureau and Ad Standards Canada about this one, the claims being made, and do everyone a favour.

Nano-oxygen bubbles my arse.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 24, 2012 4:44 pm

How sad that the guy I like (Carson Arthur) from Greenforce is attached to this ridiculous product, that bums me out. Anything to make a buck I guess.
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby copperbeech » May 25, 2012 7:55 am

Mostly Weeds wrote:How sad that the guy I like (Carson Arthur) from Greenforce

That is what got my attention when I saw the advert on TV last week.

(My wife and I used to watch this show on HGTV when we noticed it airing last year. )
copperbeech

Postby Dumbo » May 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I never heard of Green Force, but if I ever come across it I'll be sure to ignore it.

Oxygen in air is only something like 20 to 21% (in chem we just round off to 21%). The amount of oxygen bubbles that can be put in water is determined by temperature and by pressure.

We are talking milligrams per litre of water here. Around 12 milligrams or so. You can blow on your plant and give it more oxygen than this thing.

Also, although carbon dioxide is only present only in trace amounts it solubility is around 200x greater than oxygen. Don't burp near your water.

Even if you take an oxygen tank (which is like what this guy wants people to believe is happening) to the water there is only so much that will even remain in the water. Again the solubility of oxygen is only around 12 milligrams.. keep this in mind.

In real life oxygen gets in water through agitation. So what do you think is happening when you turn on your hose with a sprinkler setting and the water hits the ground? This guy seems to want to make you believe only his way will put oxygen in water. It's a joke.

We don't live in an anaerobic environment. The water pipes to your house isn't an anaerobic environment. Your garden or flowers don't live in an anaerobic environment. Again this guy is a joke.

Ottawa/Gatineau has some sort of anaerobic bacteria living off of sulpher in an oxygen deprived lake.. quite interesting. See:
http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/places- ... /pink-lake

But, unlike that lake, we have oxygen in our water.

Out of the 12 or so milligrams of oxygen per litre, how many of these "bubbles", due to water tension, do you think actually survives and makes it's way 1/2 foot under the ground to the roots?

Even the junk explaining it on their webpage is junk. They state they are adding oxygen to water molecules. No longer is water H-O-H, but it is now H-O-O-O-H! A new form of water!! I don't even know what I would call this new molecule. Waterperoxide? PerPeroxide? Trioxidane? Hydrogen Hydroxide Peroxide? Dihydrogen Trioxide? Bet it could make a great dilithium fuel substitute for the enterprise!

Want oxygen at the roots? Take a pencil and make a hole in the earth near the plant. It will provide a billion times more oxygen than this thing could.

This is what we do when we airiate our lawns. Same thing. It's to bring oxygen to soil bacteria which is beneficial, unlike what this guys flapping lips are telling you.

Kind of reminds me of the bottled oxygenated water an American company was selling, then got sued.

Sticking a pencil in the earth would be 10000000x better and more efficient.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » May 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Gee Marc. How mean of you to poke holes in the scammers pitch LOL... and you shouldn't be revealing military secrets like that (Dihydrogen Trioxide? Bet it could make a great dilithium fuel substitute for the enterprise!) Now you're gonna have some amateurs trying to make a back yard warp engine; and you know how unstable they can become if they get even a bit out of alignment .
I'm going to build an improved version of their hose nozzle and incorporate high intensity dipolar magnets to further excite and polarize those water molecules so they are attracted to the roots faster and retain their micro encapsulated oxygen better.

For a small investment on your part , I can make you a partner in the enterprise :twisted:
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » May 25, 2012 8:12 pm

New and improved!
THE POWER OF RAIN WITH HIGH INTENSITY IONIZED DIPOLAR ELECTRON RE-ARRANGEMENT TRIOXIDIZED FERRIC ELEMENTS
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » May 25, 2012 8:26 pm

hehe actually I just looked this up.

The new molecule this guy has created has also been created since the turn of the century.

However, even the brightest minds we have/had on the face of the earth for 100 years haven't thought about "THE POWER OF RAIN".

These moron chemists have to create this molecule with organic solvents and ozone.

http://www2.bioch.ox.ac.uk/wentworthlab ... 6-9%29.pdf
The observation that HOOOH is generated in the thermal
peroxone reaction in low-water-content organic solvents at
low temperature brings with it clear questions. These include
the as yet, unknown generation of HOOOH under totally
aqueous conditions at room temperature of a peroxone
mixture.

LOL "under totally aqueous conditions (dude)"

I swear half the chemists are on acid.
Dumbo

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas