Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Lettuce in a container!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Lettuce in a container!

Postby B_BQ » May 24, 2012 8:27 pm

As some of you already know, growing lettuce in a container is very rewarding. Mine is doing very well.
For lunch I went and snipped off a few leaves from different varieties of lettuce, and made this composed salad for lunch.
The lettuce was so soft and buttery. Not for those who like crunch!
~BBQ
IMG_2448.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Lettuce in a container!

Postby Laura » May 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Works for me .... any time you can go out and pick something to eat from your own garden is a wonderful thing !

Salad looks really yummy.

Laura

Postby evepet » May 26, 2012 5:56 pm

I bought a few lettuce seedlings and some cilantro seedlings and transplanted them into a 18" diameter Tuscan bowl last weekend. I can't believe how much they have grown in just the past week! I've been picking some of both of them, and adding to my salads. I also bought a variety of herb seedlings and created a beautiful herb container for the first time... parsley, chives, dill, thyme, oregano. I get such a kick out of going out on my balcony and picking bits and pieces for my salad and flavorings.

I also got a second Tuscan bowl and seeded it with spinach, lettuce, and radishes. They are already sprouting up all over the place. LOL. I get a kick out of watching things grow. That's half the fun for me. :) I am looking forward to the coming supply of home-picked lettuce, spinach & radishes though.... fresh radishes in 25 days!
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby davefrombc » May 26, 2012 7:11 pm

The cilantro is likely to bolt to seed fairly quickly. It prefers cooler weather, so summer heat makes it mature and go to seed. Stems get woody and leaves lose their flavor somewhat. It is best sown in its own container and make successive plantings to get a steady supply of younger plants.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby evepet » May 27, 2012 12:21 am

davefrombc wrote:The cilantro is likely to bolt to seed fairly quickly. It prefers cooler weather, so summer heat makes it mature and go to seed. Stems get woody and leaves lose their flavor somewhat. It is best sown in its own container and make successive plantings to get a steady supply of younger plants.

Thx Dave. I've ordered a couple of packets of cilantro seeds and should be receiving them shortly. I'll definitely seed them in a separate container for the future. Thx again for your advice on this and my earlier posts. Much appreciated.
'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damn fool about it.' W.C. Fields
evepet

Postby davefrombc » May 27, 2012 1:11 am

If you really like cilantro and have an Punjabi market near you,and they have bulk spice bins, you can ask them for "dhania" seeds. It's a lot cheaper buying the seeds in the bulk bins than it is buying little seed packets... LOL
Coriander ( dhania in Punjabi, cilentro in Spanish) is one of the basic spices used in East Indian cooking. The seed is part of many of their spice mixes and the green leaf is also used in a lot of dishes.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » May 27, 2012 7:39 am

Dave:
I use a lot of coriander, (both seeds and leaves), as we enjoy East Indian food.
I didn't know that the coriander seeds I buy in the bulk store would be viable for growing. I'll have to try them. They're dead cheap to buy in bulk. I buy them and them grind them myself.
I also grow 'Coriander' and have also learned over the years that it really does like its own pot and goes to 'seed' very quickly. The seeds of course can be saved and used to grind fresh or to plant presumably!
When I have more fresh coriander than I can use I make 'pesto', freeze in an ice cube tray, and once frozen popped into a baggie. Nice to throw a cube of fresh coriander into a dish at the last minute.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby evepet » May 27, 2012 5:42 pm

davefrombc wrote:If you really like cilantro and have an Punjabi market near you,and they have bulk spice bins, you can ask them for "dhania" seeds. It's a lot cheaper buying the seeds in the bulk bins than it is buying little seed packets... LOL
Coriander ( dhania in Punjabi, cilentro in Spanish) is one of the basic spices used in East Indian cooking. The seed is part of many of their spice mixes and the green leaf is also used in a lot of dishes.

Ahh... good tip. Thanks.
evepet

Postby evepet » May 27, 2012 5:43 pm

B_BQ wrote:Dave:
I use a lot of coriander, (both seeds and leaves), as we enjoy East Indian food.
I didn't know that the coriander seeds I buy in the bulk store would be viable for growing. I'll have to try them. They're dead cheap to buy in bulk. I buy them and them grind them myself.
I also grow 'Coriander' and have also learned over the years that it really does like its own pot and goes to 'seed' very quickly. The seeds of course can be saved and used to grind fresh or to plant presumably!
When I have more fresh coriander than I can use I make 'pesto', freeze in an ice cube tray, and once frozen popped into a baggie. Nice to throw a cube of fresh coriander into a dish at the last minute.
~BBQ

I love the pesto, frozen in ice cubes idea. thx.
evepet

Postby CdnChelsea » May 27, 2012 9:24 pm

I too grow my lettuce and mesclun mix in containers. Tonight for dinner I went outside to pick our salad and wash it. Then my husband made the dressing, tossed it and we sat down to dinner.

OMG!!!!

Just after I put a forkful of salad in my mouth, I happened to look down at the salad bowl and there was a hornet climbing on a lettuce leaf!!!! :shock:

In a very un lady-like way, I pushed back my chair, spit my mouthful of salad out and spilled my glass of water all over the table. Poor hubby couldn't figure out what happened until I pointed to the salad bowl.

Next time I get the lettuce, I'm going to check every inch of every leaf.

I'm going to have nightmares about this.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening