Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Clematis pest?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Clematis pest?

Postby jmcgillw » May 28, 2012 10:38 am

Having moved into a new home last year with extensive perinneals, this season I have been rearranging the gardens. I transplanted a clematis (of unknown type but suspect group 2) to a part shade corner of the yard. I moved it around a month ago and it has been growing upward quite well. This weekend I found that the leaves along the top of the plant have been completely stripped off. I do not see evidence of aphids or cutter beetles (which I did have quite a lot of trouble with last year on the grapevine that the clematis now sits next too). If it is an animal, it is odd that it is only the top leaves and nothing along the base seems to have been touched (we live in the city so larger animals like deer would not be present in my yard). Any thoughts on the cause? Any thoughts on a fairly natural solution (I have a young son and a baby due in 2 months so I do not want to spray or handle chemicals)?
Thank you
Jamie
jmcgillw

Re: Clematis pest?

Postby Peggy2296 » May 28, 2012 2:41 pm

If the plant is growing against a wall or fence, you might want to go out after dark and check for snails. They like to eat the tender new leaves and buds, as do earwigs.

On another note, not sure how well your clematis will do if growing in shade. They love to "Have their faces in the sun and their feet in the shade" to really do well.
Peggy2296

Postby haili » May 28, 2012 7:31 pm

This is the time of year the earwigs attack; after the first hot days, but they usually eat the flower petals, not the leaves - at least in my yard. I have grown them OK when the yard was shady but they're doing much better now in the sun with the roots shaded by ground cover plants.
haili

Postby B_BQ » May 28, 2012 8:38 pm

And then, of course, there's just plain old 'clematis wilt'. No-one seems to have ever come up with an absolute solid reason for this. It just seems to happen sometimes. It doesn't affect the roots at all, just the growth for that season. Some recommend giving the plant a good water with some epsom salts added if wilt happens.
Chipmunks also have been known to nibble stems at ground level.
Sometimes it's hard to be a gardener. *sigh*
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » May 28, 2012 9:51 pm

I would say it's earwigs as well! I have one that is against a wall and gets earwig nibbled.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby jmcgillw » May 29, 2012 8:34 am

Thank you for the replies. Earwigs is a good potential - I just found it odd that when planted against the brick of the house it was fine but now that it is in a corner with a fence it is being eaten. So far my designs for reconfiguring the garden are falling flat.
Jamie
jmcgillw

Postby Eeyore » May 29, 2012 10:32 am

Gardening is a continual learning curve. Don't get discouraged. Stop by and ask questions often and we'll offer our suggestions. Even those of us who have been gardening for years have questions and quirky things that happen in our gardens that we don't understand.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Bradeen » Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

I have no idea about these pests before but after reading the posts of the members of this page i have some knowledge about these harmful pests. Can any one tell me how can we far away from these pests ??
!!!We should honest with our self !!!
Bradeen

Return to Plant Talk