Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Brown spots on Brussell Sprouts

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Brown spots on Brussell Sprouts

Postby davefrombc » May 30, 2012 1:07 am

I just did a search on Portulaca , and indeed , it is edible.
There are a number of "weeds" which are edible; and some have far higher nutritional content than plants we traditionally grow for food. Common weeds I have eaten are dandelion, stinging nettles,and lambs quarters. There are a lot more that are edible but I have never tried them .. Chickweed is one of them.
Of the ones I've tried , lambs quarters is the one I like best.
Remember Donna , every plant we grow , whether for food or ornamental use is either a "weed" in its natural habitat , or was developed from those weeds. Some, like corn, bear very little resemblance to their ancestors. I'm interested in knowing why you won't eat the edible weeds. You're missing some good food.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 30, 2012 1:48 am

Dave,
I told you my husband was a farmer before he became an engineer, right? He dealt with these weeds enough in that capacity, he would never in a million years eat them. His friend served him nettle tea once, and neglected to tell him of some of the side effects. It didn't end well. :shock:

Anyway, getting my family to eat "regular" food is enough of a struggle. If I started to serve weedy greens, then they would know I was trying to poison 'em. I do realize that weeds are often legit plants, I just don't have any desire to try them, not when there are other choices. It's ironic that some of the fanciest restaurants are serving these weeds, and here, I'm tossing them in the compost pile.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » May 30, 2012 4:42 am

If you like spinach , give Lambs quarters a try. You won't be disappointed. Do a search on lambs quarters nutritional value. It is actually higher in value than spinach.
Popeye would have had bunging biceps to go with his forearms if he had eaten it.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 30, 2012 9:54 am

I nibbled on some Purslane last year since I had so damn much of it and my old Italian neighbour told me it was actually grown as food in the Mediterranean. Nope. Still a weed to me lol.
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby Mostly Weeds » May 30, 2012 9:56 am

Oh! And I read somewhere last year that a chem-free trick to combating White Cabbage Moth is to string a few of those styrofoam packing 'peanuts' on a length of fishing line, and suspend it above your Brassicas. Apparently the moths are somewhat territorial and will assume that spot is taken when they see the dummy moths blowing in the wind.

I haven't bothered to string anything like this up yet this season but maybe I'll have to give it a try. Anyone ever heard of this?
“The average person is still under the aberrant delusion that food should be somebody else's responsibility until I'm ready to eat it.” - Joel Salatin

Veggies & Perennials 6A
Mostly Weeds

Postby OGrubber » May 30, 2012 11:16 am

Never heard of it.
But, if you give it a try and it works for you, I'd like to know.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening