Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Clematis Walkabout

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Clematis Walkabout

Postby B_BQ » Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm

I also took pics of some Clematis that were in bloom in our garden. Quite a few have already come and gone, and there are at least another 13 or 14 still to bloom. It's a good year for Clematis - for me!
~BBQ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63808190@N ... 908054306/
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Clematis Walkabout

Postby CdnChelsea » Jun 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Wow! You certainly do have quite the collection of Clematis. All of them are stunning.

Let's see an over-all view of your gardens, bbq. I'm sure they are quite impressive.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Very nice indeed. Still waiting on Clemmies here.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby B_BQ » Jun 04, 2012 10:03 pm

CdnChelsea wrote:Let's see an over-all view of your gardens

Not possible to get an overall view unfortunately. Our lot is pie-shaped; a fairly small front but a large back. It's about half-an-acre.
Our house is an extremely long bungalow, with foundation plantings all around, some as wide as 8 feet; some only 3 feet. There's a private patio area. There's the area I have my raised veggie beds. There's the shed area at the far back corner. There's a 20 foot high 'berm' running the length of the back of the property, which gives us complete privacy fortunately. Then there's a great expanse of lawn. Some don't like lawns, I do. I think it gives the growing beds a nice frame!
So, no matter where one stands one can only see a small portion of the garden at any one time.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Clyde212 » Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Beautiful Clemmies!! Do you trim those Group 2's down to the ground or just winter kill? How long have they been planted? And last, I just got Josephine and was warned it was hard to get to thrive...do you find that?

Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby B_BQ » Jun 05, 2012 8:32 am

Clyde212 wrote:Beautiful Clemmies!! Do you trim those Group 2's down to the ground or just winter kill? How long have they been planted? And last, I just got Josephine and was warned it was hard to get to thrive...do you find that?
Clyde

All these clemmies have been planted in the last six years. There was not even one that came with the house!
If I think about it, I do trim those that should be trimmed! I have one, 'Polish Spirit', that is humungous, (I've posted a pic of it in previous years), that really should be cut to the ground each spring, but by the time I remember it's already vigorously growing and I don't have the heart to cut it back.
'Josephine' was planted 4 years ago. It has really struggled. Last year I think there were two blooms! However, it was in quite a shady area because of a maple tree owned by the neighbour. She gave that tree a good trim last year so there's more light reaching Josephine. She showed her thanks this year!
The other thing I should mention is that my DH insists on fertilizing the clemmies every year!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Jun 06, 2012 3:59 am

Beautiful Clemmies Brenda! I have resigned myself to the fact that most of the large flowered clemmies don't do well for me. I can't even manage to keep Jackmani happy! My Golden Tiara and Willy are doing great though so I'll be looking for more in that grouping.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Not only are the blooms beautiful, BBQ, your plants look so healthy. That clematis fertilizer really does work!!

Enjoy them!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Jun 08, 2012 11:53 pm

Gonna have to dig out some fertilizer. I see Polish Spirit and Jackmani are back!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Garden Gallery