Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Squash Plants Dying

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Squash Plants Dying

Postby Dumbo » Jun 05, 2012 6:31 pm

I went to see if I had any white leafs left. Still a few plants with those original leafs so I took a picture.

Whitey.JPG
Whitey.JPG (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

As you can see it's white, dry (I put my finger on the white part and it made a hole as the picture shows), and you can see the white around the edges.

None of the new leafs on any of the 40-something plants have this. Only the original leafs when I originally planted them. So it isn't spreading in any way, shape or form.

Transplant shock?
Sun?

Your guess is as good as mine.

The only thing I can say is that everything else is fine with the plants and they are growing very well. I kept the soil moist and didn't allow it to dry out.

EDIT:
yes my plants were hardened off.
Seemed to occur a couple of days after transplant, that I recall.
No other plant exhibited this effect aside from this cuke family of plants.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jun 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I'm even more sure it was sun scald and any new leaves coming in on them will be fine now. Too often the hardening off isn't sufficient to prevent sun scald on some plants. The squash family can be more prone to it than others. It can show up especially if the newly set out plants have moisture on the leaves on a hot sunny day . The water seems to act as a magnifying lens and increases the damage.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Jun 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Her zuke leafs that are affected with the white edges appear to be more pale compared with the other leaves on her plant as well.

Just like mine.

Seems like the same thing, and I'll go with sun or water+sun as well.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 06, 2012 11:34 am

I found that melons, cucumbers and squashes react really badly to replanting. They grow really badly in pots, then they get shocked went planted outdoors, even after hardening. I plant all my squashes and zucchinis outside. Right now is fine to get them planted, they will sprout super-quick and grow super-fast.

I am experimenting this year with melons and cucumbers. I planted seeds and transplanted the started plants, all under the black plastic. The started plants do not look like they are gonna make it.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 06, 2012 11:09 pm

It looks like the plants are very tender and it could be sun scald or wind damage. Just keep watering, if it's either, they will come back with new leaves. I rarely start transplants for that reason for squash, just not worth it. They do better from seed once all chance of frost has passed.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Dumbo » Jun 07, 2012 11:31 pm

I think birds pooped on our leaves and caused acid burn.
Dumbo

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening