Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Potatoe barrels

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Potatoe barrels

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Has anyone ever grown potatoes in a barrel? I'd sure like the ins and outs of how to do it properly from a garden expert.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Re: Potatoe barrels

Postby Heidi S » May 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Diane, I did it for the last 5 years, to allow my beds to recover from potato scab. I didn't get the same amount of crop as I got in the ground, but it was a solution for certain. This year I am back to trying potatoes in my newly renovated raised beds, and hoping I have eliminated the scab finally.

My basic procedure was a technique I call reverse hilling. I dug down into the centre of the barrel, moving the excess soil to the sides, to put in the seed. As the plant grew, I moved the soil from the sides to the centre to 'hill' the stem and encourage more production.

I have heard of using old tires too, but haven't tried it.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » May 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Totally makes sense. I've heard that it works well if one uses long growing season potatoes.

As for the scab, I make sure that I never use well rotted manure anywhere near my potato patch as this causes scab. As long as I rotate and add manure to half the garden at a time, and seed the potatoes on the half that did not have manure worked in, my potatoes are relatively scab free.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby jaimeg » Jun 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I made bags out of landscape fabric and grew my potatoes in those. it was easy and landscape fabric makes cheap "barrels"!

Here's a link: http://www.redroofbluedoor.com/2011/09/05/potatoes/
jaimeg

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jun 09, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks, I had a peek and they are finally coming up through the soil!
Mygrandmeresgarden

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas