Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Help with my tomato plant?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Help with my tomato plant?

Postby Saralaise » Jun 09, 2012 3:25 pm

This is my second year growing a tomato plant in a pot on my patio. Last year was a success, and I was really proud of myself for doing it.

This year, my plant seems to be struggling. It's grown a bit since I planted it, but the leaves are a bit curled at the edges and the plant just doesn't look "right". My green pepper plant is fine and has "perky" leaves and stems.

We've had a period of overcast/rainy weather lately, so I'm wondering if maybe it's received too much water? The last time I watered the plant, we started getting the rain the next day. When I water, I make sure to soak the entire layer of soil because I know the roots branch out, and the pot has sufficient drainage at the bottom.

I don't want to lose the plant, so any suggestions as to what I can do for it would be greatly appreciated! :)
Saralaise

Re: Help with my tomato plant?

Postby Eeyore » Jun 09, 2012 6:41 pm

When you look under the leaves do you see any webbing or little bugs? You could have spider mites on it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Saralaise » Jun 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Nope!
Other than the leafs curling, there is nothing abnormal about the plant. I'd post a photo if I knew how to...
Saralaise

Postby sboricic » Jun 12, 2012 1:04 am

Give a tablespoon of epsom salt around the plant. Or mix epsom salt in warm water, then add cold and water it with it.
sboricic

Postby Dumbo » Jun 14, 2012 11:57 pm

When I first planted my tomatoes they behaved the same. Droopy and curled leaves. This occurred after I transplanted them. Lasted about 2-3 weeks.

I has a soil analysis done, its posted some place in this forum, and I also mentioned the dropped curled leaves. So it is in no way a deficiency.

I doubt it's a deficiency of any kind. If anything tomatoes are more prone to calcium deficiency rather than magnesium. Calcium is their life blood for proper fruiting.

However curling leaves can be a sign of too much fertilizer. Again in my case this wasn't it. My soil was, per analysis, was dead on perfect.

Also, too much fertilizer will cause the leaves to curl inwards and may cause the edges of the leaves to turn brown. But you didn't mention brown edges.

So rule out over fertilization.

It could just be an adjustment to the transplant. Wait 2-3 weeks and reports back if it's the same.

Having an actual soil analysis done gets rid of, and eliminates, all the voodoo old wives tales.

It will likely pick up on it's own.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening