Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

To put patiostones around the house, is tarp needed?

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

To put patiostones around the house, is tarp needed?

Postby thesunlover » Jun 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi, I am new here:)

Here is my first question: I am planning to set patio stones along the right and left walls of the house. Under the patio stones is the layer of pea stone gravel and sand. My question: Do I need to put some watch prevention materials such as tarp or fabrics under the layer of gravel and sand in order to protect the house from watering?

Thank you much in advance!
thesunlover

Re: To put patiostones around the house, is tarp needed?

Postby B_BQ » Jun 09, 2012 7:02 pm

I would say yes, put some landscape fabric down before the pea gravel and patio stones. This will prevent anything growing from beneath. It doesn't prevent the odd weed or grass from growing between the gravel from airborne seeds, but it is not a big job to keep on top of that. It would be a big job if you had weeds and grass growing from beneath though.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby thesunlover » Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Thank you for the info, BBQ:)

Is tarpaulin like the one in the picture working for water/weed prevention purpose? I know this type of tarp is usually for other uses. If its working, I can save some money in purchasing new material.
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!igE-8GNUy!gBPvO9(hecg~~48_20.JPG
thesunlover

Postby Marion » Jun 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm not a big fan of landscape fabric in permanent applications such as walkways. If you click on the link for my website you can see a pic of my flagstone walkway. I put it in 6 years ago. At first I pulled all weeds trying to set root. Now, I spray some acedic acid which I believe is natural.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby B_BQ » Jun 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Marion: To each his own.
Landscape fabric does break down eventually.
I've used it successfully for many applications, e.g. covering goutweed!!!! I also use it to line black wrought iron hanging baskets. The black blends in beautifully with the black wrought iron and allows excess water to drain.
IMG_2583.jpeg

I also covered an area of lawn, cut crosses into it, planted shrubs, and then covered the whole area with mulch. I had occasion to move one of the shrubs yesterday, and all the landscape fabric-covered grass was now beautiful soil.

But yes, to answer your question, you can certainly use the tarp, cut to size, for the same purpose. It won't be seen and will prevent weeds and grass growing from underneath. The only thing is that as it is completely waterproof, which landscape fabric is not, then any water will not drain away so quickly!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Jun 09, 2012 8:40 pm

How close to your house are you laying the stones ? Remember if you are using a material that does not drain you want the water to move away from your house.Make sure you have the proper grade so the water drains away and does not sit at your foundation.

Good luck with your project.
Laura

Postby davefrombc » Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Use landscape cloth, not the blue tarp.. You will have problems to no end with water pooling on it and making you patio stones/gravel an algae covered soggy mess.. Tarps are ok as a temporary measure to kill off grass and whatever in an area or to keep material off the ground underneath temporarily , but for weed control or support under gravel and patio stone to keep them from working into clay or other soils, you want the landscape fabric.. It lets the water through to drain away while supplying the support and weed control you want.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby thesunlover » Jun 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks everyone for your prompt replies. This forum is great!

See the picture please. I've already removed all the beach stones from there. What in the trash bags are peastone gravel and sand. The patio stones will be set against the wall.

I thought that the waterproof tarp will be good for the house foundation. It seems wrong. As you indicated, can I solve the potential drain issue by make the patio stones on the wall side higher than the other?
Attachments
IMG_1173.jpg
thesunlover

Postby B_BQ » Jun 09, 2012 10:54 pm

It's not the patio stones that you have to worry about, but the actual base that the patio stones will be on. It is imperative that the land itself slopes away from the house for effective drainage. I don't know the actual slope you need, but Dave or someone else will know.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Jun 10, 2012 12:01 am

The important thing is to have a slope away from the house and foundation. From the photos, I'd guess the distance from the house to the fence is about 6 feet ( a little under 2 metres) . You only need about 2"( 5 cm) slope at most to allow the water to run away from the house.
Bed your patio stones on the pea gravel/ sand and you should have no problems with water. It will easily follow the slope away from the house through the pea gravel.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas