Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Just Picked 14 June

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Just Picked 14 June

Postby B_BQ » Jun 13, 2012 10:20 am

The last couple of buds on a white peony and a David Austin rose that I really wanted to enjoy while I'm puttering in the kitchen! It's scent is lovely.
~BBQ
IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Just Picked 14 June

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 13, 2012 10:49 am

Very pretty.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 13, 2012 10:57 am

Are you about three weeks ahead, Brenda? My main peonies are still in bud; the fern leafed is finished though.

I wish I could grow David Austins here...what is the name of that one? And did the camera render the colour accurately? Red roses are my favourite.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Big Smile » Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

Very nice Brenda , perfect rose !! but ,,,,ummm,,,, you are a day ahead,,,today is the 13th.
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » Jun 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Big Smile wrote: you are a day ahead,,,today is the 13th.

Oops! But you know what 'they' say - 'Gain a Day - Gain a Friend! lol I've retrieved the correct date from the waste paper basket - I tore off two pages from the cat calendar instead of one!

Donna: Both the peonies I have are now pretty well finished. They were both lovely, but early, this year.

I love the David Austin. I've hunted high and low for the name tag, but can't find it. There are several very thorny roses in that area so I won't go hunting now, but I'll try to remember to try to find it in the undergrowth when conditions allow, or when I'm wearing my rose armour! lol The colour is not quite true - it's almost red, with just a hint of very dark pink. Quite lovely.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » Jun 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Donna: I have another red rose - and this one is a really red red. I don't whether it's because of the bright light outside today, or the camera, but I can't capture the true colour of this one. It is much redder than the picture shows.
DSC_0002.jpeg

It's a climber, 'Red Fountain', and it's a real beauty. This is the rose I planted in memory of my Dad, who loved roses. My mother's rose is 'New Dawn', which is very pale pink. Unfortunately, both of them are really thorny and I've given myself many nasty scratches when tying them up! I just got another one when I went fishing for the tag!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 13, 2012 3:42 pm

Ack! Thanks for sacrificing yourself in the name of "research"! That is a beautiful rose. I don't have any climbers - I only grow hardy shrub roses. I love the red of "Hope for Humanity"...so much so that I have two of them.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Bark Biter » Jun 14, 2012 2:45 pm

beautiful. Nothing blooming here yet, except the weeds that need to be tended to
"Some days are blonder than others"
Not a new user, just lost all my info from years ago when on here.
Bark Biter

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 17, 2012 9:13 am

The 'Red Fountain' is beautiful! It gets it's good looks and disease resistance from it's parents, 'Blaze' and 'Don Juan'.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby B_BQ » Jun 17, 2012 9:45 am

A Closet Canuck wrote:It gets it's good looks and disease resistance from it's parents, 'Blaze' and 'Don Juan'.

Yes, I know. It's odd though, I've tried, unsuccessfuly, to grow both 'Blaze' (3 times) and 'Don Juan' (twice) over the years. They both succumbed. I did some research and came across this one, which is supposed to be hardy to Zone 5. I can only say that it survived its 1st year! But then, we had a very mild winter here. Hopefully it will grow really strong roots before winter sets in again and survive!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Garden Gallery